Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philly_gardener

blackberry/raspberry question

philly_gardener
15 years ago

I want to start growing blackberry or raspberry in my backyard. The problem is we will move in one or two years. So I am thinking I have to grow in pots. Not sure whether it's feasible. It not, I will grow them in the ground, then dig them up later we I move.

I live in greater Philadelphia area, zone 6, winter can be cold.

My basic requirement for blackberry and raspberry:

1. Easy to care, no need to spray. Disease resistant.

2. Hopefully it can grow in a pot.

2. Absolutely thornless since I have little kids at home.

3. Flavorful and sweet for fresh eating.

4. Productive.

5. Not too many seeds.

6. I may need to grow different varieties to have a longer harvest season.

From what I read so far on this forum and on Raintree's web site:

1. Triple Crown is thornless blackberry with good flavor and can produce up to 30 pounds from one plant. It can be ready to pick starting August.

2. Raintree Nursery, One Green World, NourseFarms sells bareroot blackberry plant.

Can any one advice me whether Triple Crown is a good choice in Philadelphia area? What other varieties (blackberry or raspberry) that meet my requirement above I can grow that can mature earlier than Triple Crown?

Do I need to build a trellis for blackberry or raspberry?

I have never tasted a fresh raspberry. Does blackberry taste better than raspberry?

I saw the price for blackberry on Raintree's web site is about $5.50 per plant and Raspberry is about $4.50 per plant. This spring, I saw Lowe's has them for about $10 per potted blackberry. Which one is a better deal?

Is fall a good time to start with bareroot blackberry or raspberry?

How come blackberries are so expensive ($6 per quart at a locl pick-your-own farm) while everyone says it's easy to grow?

My budget is about $30 dollars.

Thank you all for your help!

Comments (4)

• murkwell
    15 years ago

I won't attempt to answer all of your questions.

These types of fruit are collectively refered to as brambles. Brambles are much easier to grow in the ground than in pots, and are much more productive that way.

If they are growing in the ground it should be relatively easy to take some to transplant, or propagate them when it comes time to move. Especially so if you have a time-table for the move.

Blackberries and raspberries have two basic types. Primocane (sometimes called fall or everbearing) and floricane types.

Primocane types grow the fruit on canes the same year that those canes emerge from the ground. If allowed to overwinter, they can bear a second, smaller crop the next year.

Floricane types don't fruit until the year after they emerge from the ground (they have to experience one winter before they fruit).

Nearly all blackberries and black raspberries (certainly all thornless ones) are floricane varieties.

Rasberries are common in both types, although I don't know which types the thornless ones come in. Raspberry "thorns" are generally more of a fuzz and are not dangerous. Blackberries and black raspberries can be vicious blood-drawers.

Raspberries and blackberries have a very different taste and character. Everyone has their preference. How would you answer a question "Does apple taste better than pear?" The blackberries seem to have much greater variation in flavor amongst varieties than do raspberries.

I grow 4 varieties of primocane red raspberry, 1 variety of black raspberry, and 5 varieties of blackberries (all thornless).

It would be hard for me to pick one type if I had to. If I had to lose one it would probably be the black raspberries because of the thorns.

If I had to pick one for you, from what you described, I would probably go with blackberries planted in the ground. They will be the most productive, are easier to keep from spreading, and can be thornless.

Understand that you won't get any fruit the year you plant them and probably not much the following year either.

The reason fresh berries are so expensive is because they are perishable, fragile, and labor-intensive to pick. That makes them great candidates for growing at home.

• hines
    15 years ago

If yu are moving in a year or so, I wouldn't bother trying brambles at this point in your life. You won't get any fruit before it is time to pull up your stakes.

That said. They are easy to grow and seem to attract few pests. The exception being Japanese beetles, who seem to love them as much as I do. The new shoots sprout vigorously from the rootstock and you can easily dig them up and transplant them.

I responded to your query because I do have a favorite variety of raspberry. Encore, is a thornless everbearing raspberry. It is vigorous, and the canes stand erect with little support. The berries are very large and incredably sweet.

• philly_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much murky and hines

• paulc_gardener
    15 years ago

I have Doyle thornless berries. From the 5 plants I have they will produce 220# this year. I live in central Indiana and harvest starts around 20 July. They will continue to ripen for 3 to 4 weeks. After harvest you have to cut down all canes that produced fruit. From easrly spring to hard winter they produce new canes that have to be ties up and cared for during the summer. Doyle berries are probably 20.00 per plant now.