Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picking plums

Posted by kivasgrandma CA Cntrl Coast (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 14:56

Can plums be picked slightly early? Birds are pecking holes in my Satsuma plums and they are almost ripe on the tree -- tasty but still pretty firm. Can I pick them now and have them ripen off the tree? It's my first real harvest of this 3 year old tree.

Thank you in advance!
Alice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picking plums

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:04

I don't know how much they will ripen, but they will soften. If you already like the taste then go for it.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 20:09

Alice,

I'd throw a net over the tree. I've used those cheapy black mono-filament nets. They tear easily, but if you're careful you can reuse them several times. Garden centers carry them. I got the biggest ones they offered. After putting the nets on, you can throw a few rubber snakes on top of the netting and the birds seem to pretty much leave the fruit alone.

o

Thanks Olpea and Murky. I picked quite a few of them so they are on the counter now, hopefully softening. I think that next year I will invest in some bird net, since the birds had their way with the grapes and berries as well, despite my efforts with bird tape. Do you have trouble with birds getting caught under the net?

This is on top of the deer "tasting" all the plums they could reach on the bottom of the tree and dropping them green on the ground!

o

"Birds are pecking holes in my Satsuma plums and they are almost ripe on the tree -- tasty but still pretty firm"

Or wrap them with newspapers----trust me it works, It worked on my mariposa plums.

o

Weatherman,
Could you please elaborate on how you put the newspapers on the plums. At what stage do you do it and how do you fashion it? Northwoodswis

o

Secure them with tape.

"At what stage do you do it and how do you fashion it?"

When they're starting to show signs for ripening.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Here's my harvest.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here