Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying blueberries - need some help before I do

Posted by JustAnotherGardener 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 15:04

I was planning on buying bare root blueberries from Finch but from what I read on the site, they only ship from November-April.

November around here has a chance of snow (though with abnormal weather conditions for the past few years, who knows?).

Would it be ok if I bought the plants for November and planted them in the ground then?

I could also just prepare the beds now and order them for planting in March/April. The only thing holding me back from this is that I also read somewhere on this forum that the quality of the plants shipped from Finch around this time were not as of good quality as those from November/December were.

Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying blueberries - need some help before I do

JAG,
Wait to get yours shipped in early April so you can go right into the pots/ground with them. Right now you should get a jump on soil preparation, particularly PH. You'll need to apply granulated soil sulfur to lower the PH if you're above 6 and watering with hard water.
See if you can buy locally.
Noogy

o

Wait until April I did buy blueberry early and the results was not good. If you want to gain from my experience try to find a nursery who ships in small pots Bare feet shocks the roots and it takes long time to recover.

o

I think November would be fine............whether you buy in November or April, either way the plants are going to arrive dormant. If the ground will be solid in November then wait til April, otherwise it shouldn't matter. More important is getting the soil right..........

RM

o

Sorry for the late reply, but I just wanted to thank you guys! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here