Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeycrisp Disease? and Cherry Canker Question

Posted by kiger none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 15:07

Two questions.

1. I had a cherry tree with awful canker. It would bleed everywhere. It was in ground for about three years. I have since ripped it out but probably lots of roots left. Is it safe to plant anything in the hole? My wife wants a peach/plum tree. I figured that planting another cherry tree might be unwise as its roots could catch the canker from the existing roots?

2. I have four honey-crisp trees on different property about 20 miles apart. The leaves on each tree on both properties look awful. I don't know if it is a disease or what. Maybe just sun scorch? The odd thing is that the leaves on my other apple trees look fine on both properties... it's just the honey-crisp that look like this. I am getting good apples on them though. Also, I am in Toledo Ohio, dunno if that makes a difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeycrisp Disease? and Cherry Canker Question

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 18:16

Another tree planted in the old hole won't get bacterial canker from the old roots, at least I think not. But the bacteria is everywhere. It's just looking for an opening to attack. It can enter through small cracks and even the leaf scar where a leaf falls off this fall. If the old cherry got it another one probably will also. Changing rootstocks might help. The chart below lists BC resistance for several cherry rootstocks.

I'm not certain what's attacking your apple. But a good fungicide would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: cherry rootstock chart

o

Thanks. You think it could be a fungus? Seems odd I would get it in two separate locations.

o

My opinion is that the Honey crisp is cedar rust. my honey crisp tree gets it easily when the other trees are fine. I spray the HC with baking soda 1/2 cup to one gallon of water. It stops it dead, but rain will wash it off. so on periods of frequent rain it can get ahead of you for a bit. The HC is such a wimp of a tree I grafted Enterprise onto it so it could retain some healthy leaves all year.

I have not proven this, but my attitude is the best way to raise honeycrisp organically is to have a tree like Liberty, Enterprise etc and graft some HC onto it once the tree is 4 years old and let 1/3 of the tree be HC and the rest the more reliable type

o

My Honeycrisp looks like garbage, while the seedlings i have around it look perfect...i almost thought it might have a virus, but i did some research on it and it looks like its normal. I think i'll graft it over today (chip bud) and get a few branches going on another tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here