Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ally7_gw

Area to plant fruit trees vs. garden

ally7
11 years ago

Good morning everyone!

Hope you are all having a great day so far. Have a quick question about area of garden to plant fruit trees and veges. I live in North Orange County and my garden will be on the southwest area of my property along the fenceline. It has been portable (containers and raised beds) lately due to remodeling. My neighbor's land (to the west) is about a foot higher than mine and they have built a 2-story enormous building which now begins shading my land earlier than normal. I usually plant a vege garden of squash, tomato's, peppers, cuc's, etc.., but I also have several fruit trees in containers that really need to go in the ground. They are all semi-dwarf (lemon, lime, 2 peaches, cherries, apple, orange).

Due to the size of the fruit trees potentially getting from 6-10 feet in height, I thought it would be better to plant the trees to the immediate west closer to the fence, and then the vege boxes could go alongside of the trees. This way the veges would get the east sun as much as possible before being "lost" in shade and the trees could still benefit as well. Does this sound logical?

Sorry for the lengthy post!!

Ally

Comments (2)