Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Area to plant fruit trees vs. garden

Posted by ally7 So California (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 15:10

Good morning everyone!
Hope you are all having a great day so far. Have a quick question about area of garden to plant fruit trees and veges. I live in North Orange County and my garden will be on the southwest area of my property along the fenceline. It has been portable (containers and raised beds) lately due to remodeling. My neighbor's land (to the west) is about a foot higher than mine and they have built a 2-story enormous building which now begins shading my land earlier than normal. I usually plant a vege garden of squash, tomato's, peppers, cuc's, etc.., but I also have several fruit trees in containers that really need to go in the ground. They are all semi-dwarf (lemon, lime, 2 peaches, cherries, apple, orange).

Due to the size of the fruit trees potentially getting from 6-10 feet in height, I thought it would be better to plant the trees to the immediate west closer to the fence, and then the vege boxes could go alongside of the trees. This way the veges would get the east sun as much as possible before being "lost" in shade and the trees could still benefit as well. Does this sound logical?

Sorry for the lengthy post!!

Ally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Area to plant fruit trees vs. garden

Ally:

Sounds right to me. In your sunny climate, unless you get a lot of fog, most plants do alright in partial shade. So if your fruit trees are shaded part of the afternoon they will still produce good fruit.

o
RE: Area to plant fruit trees vs. garden

Thanks for the reply fruitnut!! Really appreciate your input. It sounded right to me as well, but just wanted another opinion. Can't wait to get back to a normal garden!! Growing out of containers has been a challenge for me.

Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here