Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree problem

Posted by Matter921 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 15:13

This year our Haralson apple tree has been doing very well. However, over the past month or so many of the apples have gotten some brown marks, almost like little channels. So far these markings have mainly remained on the surface, but some apples are now cracking. I attached a photo of one of the severe cases. What is this problem, and is there a way to treat it?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree problem

If you see this russetting marks on most of your apples, it could be frost damage during bloom. Then as the apples grow that area maybe doesn't stretch? as well as normal apple skin and causes cracks. I have this same damage on many apples and some split pretty early in the spring. Are these split marks only in the russeted area?

o

Matter:

Were your Haralson sprayed with any pesticides? I ask because I also grow haralson. I use Imidan for insecticide but not on Haralson. Imidan is phytotoxic on
Haralson. When I tried it on Haralson, I got lots of cracking/russeting and then ladybugs/wasps getting into the fruit.

Now I bag all my Haralson and the fruit is nice.

o

Thanks for the responses. The cracking only shows up on the marked areas. Spartan, I didn't get around to spraying my tree this year, so I don't think that is the problem. Hopefully this is just some sort of frost damage as KG suggests. Then I don't have to worry about pests or diseases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here