o
My Ouachita's are finally coming in!

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 15:18

photo 006-1.jpg

photo 005.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Ouachita's are finally coming in!

Lovely, Mrs. G! How do they taste? Are they sweet, tartish, have a nice classic blackberry taste? They look REALLY dark.

Patty S.

o

Hoosier! They are intensly flavored with 'true' blackberry' flavor with a bit of tartness at the end, sweet at the beginning. Truly good. Thanks! Mrs. G

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 3:18

My Ouachitas are almost done for the season, with Triple Crown in the middle of its season. I don't think I'd say Ouachita is "intensely flavored"- it is more mild and sweet, while Triple Crown has a more intense flavor. I brought some to work and opinion was divided. I like TC better, but am not as unhappy with Ouachita as during the first season or two.

On an unhappy note, I found my first SWD in blackberries today. They haven't gotten too bad yet this year, but it will probably come soon.

Pic- a quart of berries from earlier today. Mostly Triple Crown, with the first 3 Anne raspberries of the fall.

o

Congrats MrsG47 on your harvest!

I would second bob_z6 though on the Ouachita not being "intensely flavored" or at least mine were not. Ouachita is a good variety and they are mildly sweet when fully ripe. Mine are finished for the season as well. Fruit flies started showing up during the last week of July so I had a bring them and Triple Crown to a close for the season.

o

Thanks guys. This is my first year with triple crown, so I didn't have many. blackberries grow very well, where I live. I am always amazed at the size of the berries. I just love blackberries! Mrs. G

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 16:39

Looking at your photo MrsG some of those could have used more vine time. But if you're making jam, I would pick them as you did. They will sweeten more on the vine.
I'm harvesting Natchez now, my last plant, well Chester and others have a few berries. Anyway they are rated as good not great, but to tell the truth I think they are a lot better than I expected so I'm happy.

o

Drew they are headed for the jam pot! I pick at least two cups day, which by the size of the fruit is about twelve berries! They are huge.and very juicy too. I cannot wait to plant more next year. i now see visions of my rose garden turning into productive 'berry and tree land'. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here