Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado tree ID

Posted by swakyaby 9 California (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 15:19

Hello avocado fanatics!

I purchased a dwarf avocado tree this spring from Home Depot in Roseville, and planted it in a raised bed about 5 months ago. I am wondering if anyone can identify the cultivar. The plant tag only identifies it as a dwarf hybrid. When I went to the HD Garden Club website and typed in the tag's plant code "THDA5155" it repeated the same information on the plant tag, that it is a hybrid dwarf, grows to 6-12 feet tall, and is hardy to 20 degrees F. When I asked an employee at the HD's Garden Center at the time of purchase, he only shrugged.

It set one pear-shaped fruit, pictured, with some sun scald, I think. I originally thought it might be a Little Cado, but I thought Hass types have more oval fruit. I don't know what a Holiday looks like. Can anyone identify this little avocado tree?

Thank you, avocado fans.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado tree ID

I can tell you what it is not..Littlecado (Wertz), Holiday (xx3), Gwen. It could be this: http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100494481/persea-americana-don-gillogly-avocado-reviews/reviews.htm

o

Thanks, fireduck. Is it because of the shape of the immature fruit shown?

o

If you're feeling adventurous, you can make some comparisons to the UCR Avocado variety database (fruit size and shape, as well as leaf proportions,all pictures).

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR Avocado Variety Database

o

Thanks, Steve. I'll definitely look there.

o

I purchased two of them at HD as well. What I learned is it is supposed to be a hass grafted on the roots of a mexican avo. I stripped my tree of any fruit this year.

o

I purchased two of them at HD as well. What I learned is it is supposed to be a hass grafted on the roots of a mexican avo. I stripped my tree of any fruit this year.

o

o

Interesting information, Tim. Before you removed your fruit, were they pear-shaped like mine? Doesn't Hass produce a different shape avocado?

o

My Pinkerton had mature fruits that shape.

o

@serge94501,

I agree, Pinkerton is the only tree I know that has the shape fruit I am seeing on my tiny tree. Do you think this might be a mis-labeled Pinkerton? My planting site is completely unsuitable for anything but a dwarf tree.

o

It could also be 'Holiday'. Your tree is very young, and the shape of the fruit may change up some, as it matures. 'Holiday' is frequently sold by the big box stores as a "dwarf" avocado tree. The easiest way to find out for sure is to call your Home Depot and ask to speak to the Garden Manager. Ask him/her where they buy their avocados from, as you're trying to ID the cultivar of something tagged as "dwarf avocado". I have had success in chasing down the grower of some of my trees to find out things like rootstock in this way.

Patty S.

o

Hi Patty,

Thank you for your suggestion. I called Home Depot today, and after much computer sleuthing, they identified the vendor as Four Winds Growers, a grower well known in California mainly for their citrus trees. I have left a message for their customer service at Four Winds Growers, and am waiting for a return call.

o

After leaving a phone message, I also emailed customer service at Four Winds growers, and they responded today. They said that in March they shipped Little Cado to my store, and in May they shipped Holiday. Based on my purchase in April, they said it is probably a Little Cado.

So, thank you everyone for responding!

P.S. It is interesting that my first fruit is shaped like a Pinkerton, isn't it?

o

Swak... thanks to you for following up and letting us know what you found.

o

Ah, very good. Littlecado/Wertz. And "ok" variety, I think Holiday is better tasting, in my opinion, but Littlecado will do well in our area. It has a weeping growth habit, much like Holiday. Its fruit is green, and will eventually be a little more rotund.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here