Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olympic Giant Asian Pear Trees

Posted by SaiLiam PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:24

We are looking to purchase for planting next spring 300 balled root Olympic Giant Asian Pear Trees for our orchard in northeastern PA. However, we have not had any luck in locating. Might anyone be aware of a nursery/grower that might carry, even if in smaller quantities--understanding, of course, there might be shipping/handling costs if out of area. Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olympic Giant Asian Pear Trees

Sailiam,

Starkbros has them under a trade mark called Starking Hardy Giant Asian Pear. My has been in the ground for 12 yrs and loaded with large and super sweet fruits. You have to thin it or the branch will snap.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympic Giant or Starking Hardy Giant Asian pear

This post was edited by tonytran on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:40

o

Thank you Tony; however, Stark Bros. appears to sell bare (not balled) root. Appreciate the help nonetheless.

o

If you purchase such trees from a nursery they will cost around $200 a tree wholesale for 2 to 2.5 inch caliber trees. Asian pears are widely available in such nurseries but not Korean Giant, AKA Olympic (never heard it called Olympic Giant).

You could contact suppliers like Adams County Nursery to see if they are selling large quantities to other nurseries that size them up for resale.

I've never heard of a commercial fruit growing venture seeking b and b trees. Pears don't usually transplant well so you won't get that much of a return on the extra investment, it seems to me. Probably won't be getting serious crop until the third season after transplanting, I think.

o

Suggets that you purchase the larger bare root versions for fall delivery. Effectively you will lose about 1 year as the tree develops its roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here