Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hail to 3 inches deep, damage to fruit: pics

Posted by fabaceae_native z6 NM (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 15:27

Had a whopper of a hail storm yesterday. The moisture (2.75 inches precip in my rain gauge) much appreciated, but not the damage. Annual plants mostly destroyed, some fruiting plants such as grapes entirely defoliated. Apples and plums bruised and unappetizing. See below for more pics -- this one is my melon and watermelon patch the next morning...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hail to 3 inches deep, damage to fruit: pics

Here's a view to the NW showing the ground coated with hail, a brown river of runoff in the middle foreground, and a small apple tree with shredded leaves near the center...

Oh, and the melon patch is barely visible along the fence behind the little apple tree

o

sorry, this was supposed to be with the above text...

o

fabaceae_native,

I am so terribly sorry. What a beautiful garden you had. You put soooo much work into it. I cannot even begin to imagine your disappointment. It seems rather late in the year for a hail storm of that proportion, especially in New Mexico. I hope you can salvage some of your harvest.

Did your roof and gutters and cars survive?

o

They just froze, didn't they?

o

Wow, that was a bad hail storm and I've seen dozens if not hundreds. But never that depth of hail after that long. Have seen it piled head high where it drifted in on flood waters.

Sorry for your lose! Sometimes gardening is a cruel business!!!

o

milehighgirl: miraculously no damage to cars or structures, other than some exterior lights. Here in NM it seems hail is not uncommon anytime from Spring to Fall, but usually it's just pea-sized and short-lived. This was the worst I've seen.

ltilton: I don't think they froze, since what's left of the vines is still green and not black. It was just being pelted with and buried by ice balls the size of grapes that did the damage I think.

Fruitnut: Gardening sure can be cruel, I'm just glad that it's only a hobby for me.

o

Just had to offer my condolences also. I had one like that a few years ago when I lived in Austin. It not only ruined my crop of fruit for the year(including what would have been my first ever crop of Magness pears) it also spread massive fireblight throughout my apple and pear trees. We had a really bad storm in Dallas this year but some how we avoided much serious damage inspite of some really serious hail. Best of luck on your recovery.

Scape

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here