Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chokecherry Suckers alive?

Posted by greginnd Z4 ND (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 15:32

Hi everyone. I need some insight.

About a week and a half ago I pulled up some chokecherry tree suckers and replanted them. Some were very small with only a few leaves and a few inches high. Some were about 3 feet tall with a fair amount of leaves. They had some roots but not a lot. When I planted them I watered them will with about 5 gallons of water each. After a couple days the leaves started dying. I watered them again with 5 gallons each. After that I was away for a week. When I came back all of the leaves were dried up and dead.

Is there any chance that the trees are still alive if the leaves have gone? Should I pull them out or try to keep watering them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chokecherry Suckers alive?

You might be OK, this is normal what they do this time of the year, it's best to do it in spring when still dormant. Just let them be and see what comes next spring, don't over water,...moist is fine.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 19:30

greginnd,sounds like they really got some good transplant shock.Normally it is best to move things when they are still dormant in the spring or fall.It is pretty late in the season for them to come back if they would.Make sure the soil has moisture and do a bark scratch test later on in the fall.If the bark is still green underneath they just might come back next spring but I would probably plan on digging more suckers in the fall after leaf drop.

Glenn

o

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

Some of the suckers came from a friend and they needed to dig them out now. Some of my suckers I wanted to move right away to avoid potential contamination with black knot. I'm hoping they are ok. Not the ideal time, but we'll see if they take.

I don't think I can water too much this year. The drought has made the soil a huge sinkhole for water. I can pour gallons on it and it disappears.

So far the bark is alive and I have one tree which still has a few live leaves. The good think about chokecherries is that there are usually plenty more where they came from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here