Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon Tree Trunk Oozing Black Tar

Posted by Avocado101 9A Southern Californ (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 15:36

Hello,

I noticed one of my persimmon tree is oozing out some black tar like substance at the base of the tree. Is this bad? I have two other persimmon trees and have grown one large one at my previous house and have never seen this. What can I do to cure this please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon Tree Trunk Oozing Black Tar

Could be bleeding sap from bark injuring? If the tree is healthy then just an eye on it.

Tony

o

Same here. Help, please!

I found 2 black tar spots last year but they looked like a little black tar ooze.

This year there are 10+ spots on the main trunk spread between ground level to about 3 feet tall, facing East only. Nothing on the side that faces West. Each black tar spot became a dime-size tar ball that's really hard. We pried a few off but don't know what's causing it and how to stop it, or if it's damaging the tree.

Our Fuyu Persimmon tree is old, 2-story tall, the trunk is 1 foot in diameter, produces hundreds of large ripe sweet fruit. This year has a much smaller crop due to the California drought and crazy green parrots that eat everything in sight. We're in SoCal Pasadena area.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

If you know how to effectively chase away the crazy green parrots, please share too. We tried CDs in the tree, crows took them. Eagle eye balloons, birds got used to them. Now we are using motion sensor sprinkler (the ScareCrow), still can't keep hundreds of green parrots and squirrels away. Uh.

Thanks.

o

My first thought is persimmon borer damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here