Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should my grapes start changeing

Posted by DaveLindahl5432 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 15:44

I live in Mn zone 4 and its just about september and my grapes haven't started to change yet? It has been real hot this months with temps about 15 degrees over average and in the 90's. The vines seem to be healthy and some of the grapes have brown marks on the but look good and solid. We haven't had any rain for about 3 weeks in my area but grapes seem to be doing good and we have clay soil for the most part which does hold water better than most soils. Will they start to change once the temps start to drop? Please let me know so I don' worry about them so much and this is in a back yard.

Thanks Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should my grapes start changeing

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 16:21

Grapes need warm weather to ripen to best quality. It won't help to cool off like some fruits. Mine probably need 4-6 weeks of 90F weather after starting to change color. So if they haven't changed color yet they better soon.

Are you sure the varieties you have will ripen in your climate?

o

would probably depend on the variety. I live in zone 5, my mars grapes probably started changing color end of july/early august and they've just gotten to tasting good in the last week or so, but mars is a pretty early variety.

o

Here in zone 9, I have one variety that was ripe three weeks ago, while my green muscats are just ripening up. It really just depends.

If cold weather gets them before they ripe, you may need to choose an earlier cultivar.

o

I've been reading info on grapes and can you have to many grapes on one plant ? I have 3 mature ones that have been there for over 10 years and this is the only year so far that they haven't changed. I did more pruning this year than most so the grapes are generally bigger this year. I called the local wineries and they say theirs have all turned already. Anyone have a answer to my problem or will God take care of them is his time.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 15:05

Dave:

Probably a combination of late spring and too much fruit. Too much fruit on the vine can delay ripening by delaying the buildup of sugars.

o

My Concords are the size of very large marbles and hard as rocks. I have about 25 good sized clusters, but they are not turning purple yet. It this normal? I've been to every Concord (growing grapes site) and no one seems to discuss ripening times (averages) per zone. Thanks Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here