Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

Can i buy a peach tree from home depot and plant it this week?

needinfo001
9 years ago

Is it ok to pant friut trees this time of year?

Comments (4)

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    9 years ago

I do my tree planting in the fall to allow them the winter and spring to develop roots and strength before the heat of summer hits.

• curtis
    9 years ago

You can, but it is better use of your time (lots of time over the life of the tree), money, and yard to wait and buy a bare root from a reputable dealer this winter to be delivered early spring. Regardless of the label you don't know what variety you will really be getting at Homer Depot. Why risk getting bland peaches for years when you can get awesome peaches. I wish someone would have intervened on my first purchase. I'm tediously making it over by bud grafting all the little branches

• eboone_gw
    9 years ago

I am admittedly cheap and always looking for a bargain, and in the past have bought trees at end-of-season sales at WalMart, Lowes, etc. Now that I have more experience, I would generally advise buying mail order bare root trees as above, because although the 'big box' store trees may look larger and more impressive, the branches at this point are poorly pruned, too upright, usually start too high off the ground. If you know what you are doing you may be able to get a bargain, though, if you can find truly healthy, well formed trees. My trees from these sources have all survived, been true to name, and some have produced well - one of my fav peaches is a Hale Haven from a WalMart

• insteng
    9 years ago

You should be fine buying it now and getting it a head start for next year. I've bought trees from Lowe's and Home Depot when they put them on clearance. I figure if they are mislabeled and turn out to be not very good I can always graft another type to the tree. I have plenty of room so it doesn't really matter to me if they are not the right ones. Even though some of them have turned out to be different than they were labeled all of them have turned out to be decent so far. I even got a pecan tree one time for $4 and it has really grown since I bought it. I usually don't pay more than $10 for any of the trees I buy on clearance like that. If there is a particular type I want I order them as bareroot.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler