Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thapranksta

Crapapple suggestion

Tha Pranksta
10 years ago

I'm looking for a nice crapapple tree that will be located in the top corner of my backyard. As it stands now, it would be planted to the right of 3 other fruit trees of which I plan to maintain at around 9-10 feet tall. I do not plan to prune the the crabapple for height at all and its shadow should not obstruct the other trees.

The purpose of this tree is primarily ornamental and as a distant focal point that keeps interest most of the year. It would be a strong (though not necessary) plus for it to have good enough fruit (for tasty jam or fresh eating). Disease and insect resistance is always desired.

I've discovered that there are TONS of crabapple selections. Here are the trees I was looking at thus far.

Dolgo
Wickson
Whitney
Chestnut
Prairie Fire
Profusion
Donald Wyman
Centurion

Right now, the Donald Wyman and Prairie Fire are probably my top two choices based on the little I know. Any suggestions? I'm all ears (and eyes). :-)

Comments (11)

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

pranksta,
    I'm just up the road from you, across the KY line in Christian Co., KY, used to live in Giles Co.,TN.

For a strictly ornamental crab with fruits large enough to eat or make jelly, Callaway gets my nod - it's a favorite here for fresh eating or making jelly; heavy producer of 1-1.5" crabapples, bears so heavily it assumes a semi-weeping habit. Selected at Callaway Gardens, in GA, it also has decent disease resistance - I don't notice it defoliating here like many of the older ornamental crabs do.

Have two Dolgo offspring in the orchard here, Centennial & Kerr, that are both very good 'edible crabs' - larger, sweeter fruit on Centennial, yellow with red blush; Kerr makes a slightly smaller, tart red fruit fruit with crisp white flesh and musky wine flavor undertone. Both very good. Dolgo is good, too.

Chestnut continually gets rave reviews for flavor, but never fruited here, I know nothing about its disease resistance. Selected in MN, it may or may not like The South.
    Same for Wickson - good reviews, but the tree I purchased was NOT true to name.
    Whitney - there are at least two selections going by that name in the nursery trade - it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you get the 'real'/good one.
    Can't comment on the others on your list.

This post was edited by lucky_p on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 17:24

• megamav
    10 years ago

For blossom and beauty: Golden Hornet
    For fruit: Chestnut crab, nutty!

• Tha Pranksta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

I have Chestnut and love the apple,..not overly juicy but got
    a nice flavor.

The better one is the Trailman, crisp sweet and juicy.

• skyjs
    10 years ago

Wickson, then Centennial are the best tasting. I've just grafted Chestnut, haven't tasted it yet.

I like Callaway to eat, but I just like to graft a small branch of a crabapple into my apple trees. They are more nutritious than regular apples, but I can't eat that many. They help with pollination too. Dolgo is good but tart.
    If you can get it, Maypole is great and pretty. It's quite rare though.
    John S
    PDX OR

• skyjs
    10 years ago

Wickson, then Centennial are the best tasting. I've just grafted Chestnut, haven't tasted it yet.

I like Callaway to eat, but I just like to graft a small branch of a crabapple into my apple trees. They are more nutritious than regular apples, but I can't eat that many. They help with pollination too. Dolgo is good but tart.
    If you can get it, Maypole is great and pretty. It's quite rare though.
    John S
    PDX OR

• Tha Pranksta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whoa, I just realized I mispelled crabapple! I'm certainly not looking for a "crapapple". LOL. Too bad I can't change it.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

My pet peeve on crabs is I don't like mealy ones, many of them easily get too mealy. Its fine for jelly etc but I don't like them fresh when mealy. My favorite is Chestnut, it has great flavor with a semi-translucent flesh. Wickson is also great but it cracks every few years for me.

Scott

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

thapranksta,
    never noticed..actually not a bad name you gave it,..some crabapples are crap.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Does anyone in the SoCal area recommend a variety?

I have been looking at what is offered by Trees of Antiquity, they are north and inland of me by about 3 hours-really really different weather conditions, I thought I would pick one up when I was driving in the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabapples offered

• Tha Pranksta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to update...I ended up with a 'Harvest Gold' crabapple. I was still undecided about whether or not I would get one but I found a nice tree at Lowes for $5 so I figure I had nothing to lose.

Thanks for all your suggestions. If it wasn't for the fantastic price I happened upon, I'd likely have picked up something else.