Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first superior plum

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 15:56

I just ate my first ripe superior plum.....it was fantastic, I think I will go have another.

A bright note in the day, so far the SWD seem to be leaving them and the sommerset grapes alone. Swenson red is just coloring hopefully it will have an adequately thick skin as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first superior plum

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 17:03

The skin on Superior is so bad even the SWD don't like it!!!!

Glad you like the fruit. And I hope to hear about more things the SWD don't attack. This thing has me flinching before it arrives.

o

One problem I'm seeing with Superior, and i don't remember this in the past, is that its falling to the ground when they are ripe. Very sweet this year because we haven't had any rain in the past month+... No cracking or brown rot on the Superior yet.

Geo Pride are ripe Fruitnut... Pretty good, but no better then a Flavor Supreme in my opinion. Flavor King better blow me away. Dapple Dandy look great.

o

Windfall, that is great. Today I ate my first Italian prune/plum that was oh so sweet! There are no SWD around it either for which I am so grateful! Since our August has been so chilly compared to last summer, I was wondering when the rest of my plums will ripen. The skin on my Italian plum is very tangy. Mrs. G

o

My Superiors have been dropping a lot. The birds have been terrible--they seem to know which are the ripest. Have netted and have caught one sparrow who subsequently escaped. About the skin: read that Superiors are easy to peel and found that to be true. So I have peeled the last bunch harvested and mixed them with the few apples ripe at the same time for plum-applesauce. I find the skin of Superior to be too astringent, but it might be better if we could ripen them more. So far, this is my favorite use of Superior. I have dehydrated them in other years, and this works well.

o

I find ripe Shiros are easy to peel, as well. But I prefer other plums without the skin problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here