Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysweet pear fail

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 16:04

I'd been waiting 7 years for this tree to fruit. At last, this year, a dozen fruits. I bagged them, the squirrels got some, and I waited.

Finally, this month, with everything ripening so early, I started to wonder if they were ripe, even though very very small. I lifted them up to see if they'd separate. Are you ripe yet? Nope and nope. Finally, today, one of them broke free.

I took a bite. Ackptooie! Totally tastless and mealy. WAY past it.

Looks like I'll have to wait til next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysweet pear fail

• Posted by Omni none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 19:42

A friend of mine, who has an orchard with peaches, pears and apples, that the first harvest of a fruit isn't its best. The fruits will not taste optimally sweet, however, by second harvest, it will be a lot better.
Just be sure to fertilize your tree at the correct times. A fertilizer with a high phosphorus content will allow the tree to make more fruits that are sweeter.

o

7 years? Do you know what rootstock it's on? I was thinking about buying a Honeysweet.

o

No, I got it from Stark's. The last tree I'll buy from them, because of the rootstock issue.

I thought Honeysweet was a Seckel type, supposed to ripen on the tree. So the small size didn't concern me.

o

I got one from Miller's and it's on its 3rd year of Neutral. Cut it back, got some growth a month ago. Enough to train a new leader? Nope. I have great hopes for my big Bartlett/Ayers next year. Good luck.

o

Supposedly Honeysweet is self-fertile and cold-hardy and also resistant to fire blight. It sounds like the perfect pear. I sure want to know what others have experienced. The rootstock I ordered it on is OHxF 87. It is a cross of Seckel.

Cummins' website says, "The fruit can be picked the 2nd week in September in Lafayette, Ind." It doesn't sound like it should have been over-ripe for you.

I remember a thread from a few months ago regarding bagged pears. You did mention that you had not had any problem with bagging them, but planatus put a link that was interesting regarding reduced quality. I decided not to bag mine after reading the article.

Could the bagging have caused this effect?

Here is a link that might be useful: BAGGING OF 'CONCORDE' PEARS .....

o

milehigh - everything is so much earlier this year, it's hard to judge ripeness. I was expecting them to be maybe getting ripe, but not so far overripe. Disappointing.

That bagging study was with paper bags and I used ziplocks, which are clear, so I don't know how much that study would apply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here