{{gwi:123016}}

{{gwi:123017}}

{{gwi:123018}}

{{gwi:123019}}

Comments (20)

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are over fifty peaches on the tree. After googling, it looks a lot like Redhaven. Could it be? Thanks, Mrs. G

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was the tree this past spring.

{{gwi:97873}}

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any guesses??????

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Looks like a giant spider descended on your orchard and spun it all up in webs. Like the netting. HD you say?
    As for the peach...no idea. I know it's not a Hale Haven because mine don't have pretty bloom like that does.

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Not Redhaven... Redhaven has NON showy blossoms.

• olpea
    9 years ago

Mrs. G,

It's not Redhaven. Redhaven has a non-showy blossom. The blossoms in your pic are showy. Plus the pics show a fruit with more color than Redhaven (at least compared to the strain of Redhaven I have).

Whatever variety they are, they look excellent. Congrats.

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Yellow or white flesh?

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yellow flesh. Wish I knew what they were!

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Olpea. I really have a problem with mis-labeled trees. I just hope the peaches taste good. They have a very deep red skin and glow. They are beautiful. Mrs. G

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Free stone?

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

When you harvest, carefully bisect the fruit and take a shot. Along with a whole peach and a ruler in the image.

That and it looks to be fairly young tree, and Rhode Island certainly can narrow it down to what it isn't and what it could possibly be. Dates when it breaks dormancy, blooms and ripens also can help. Looks like someone knew what they were doing in initially forming the tree. Getting lists of what is available online from your local nurseries can help to...but you are unlikely to ever be certain unless there is just some unusual feature present that gives it away.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frank as soon as one is totally ripe I'll cut it in half and find out if its free stone. Gosh, I hope it is I hate messing with cling peaches.

Facist nation, I will definitely post another pic of the peach once it is ripe and ready. Honestly, I only hope they are an excellent tasting peach. I have my doubts given the mislabeled tree. I'll probably know by this weekend. I took time to look at pictures of Olpeas trees and pruning and followed as best I could. I have two newer peach trees that are growing straight up. I'll deal with those this winter. Many thanks all, Mrs. G

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally found the paper work for the tree. It was purchased from Smith's Nursery in Sherman Oaks, CA. Really bad reviews and now out of business.

What is so surprising is that is was the most meticulously packed tree I had ever received. It was perfect. It was my first tree on dwarf rootstock. At least that part was true. Mrs. G

• Tony
    9 years ago

Mrs.G,

I hope it is a good one and you will enjoy it for many years to come. Just be sure to spray copper on it during dormant season.

Tony

• ljkewlj
    9 years ago

Mrs. G

Consider yourself lucky I think, I ordered 2 trees from them around the same time you did. What I received were two dead sticks and it was not peaches that I ordered. Can't remember what I ordered but I know where mine were shipped from because I I kept the package they were mailed in. Mine were mailed from Summerstone Nursery! O well...life goes on and ya learn.

• franktank232
    9 years ago

I think once we know that info...should be able to at least get an idea... when it ripens, color, flesh, free stone, showy blossoms, any bleeding in the flesh...should really narrow it down.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Frank, I'm enjoying this mystery but hope its just a great tasting peach and not a pig in a poke type. Who knows, I bought it from such a loser company. What a mistake, but I'll try not to make that one again! Thanks for your help. Mrs. G

• curtis
    9 years ago

great looking orchard. Ripen date will help a lot in identifying. I hope it is a great one.

• rob_343
    9 years ago

Hey Mrs G,

Off topic and wrong forum, but would you mind telling what your tall wall-like hedge is? Box elder? Is it evergreen? I need a privacy hedge and have about 10 plants on my short list.

Thanks
    Rob

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rob, no prob. 12' tall privet on one side, 12'foot wooden fence covered with ivy, backside, 22 17' tall arborvitae on the opposide side, and lastly an entry privet hedge with arch. Mrs. G