Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crack in peach tree branch

Posted by jeepguy44 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 16:13

I have a 3 year old peach tree that began producing a lot of peaches this year, We tried to thin them out, but we had hundreds.

During a recent storm one of the larger branches seemed to crack from the inside (as seen in the attached photo). This is one of three main branches. Everything on the branch seems to be doing well. Do I need to remove the branch or do anything to help it heal? I'm concerned that the crack could expose the tree to infestation or cold during the winter. Any advice would be appreciated. I definitely dont want to lose the tree, as the peaches were delicious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crack in peach tree branch

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 16:22

As I'm sure you realize that limb was very near failure when fully loaded with peaches. If it still has fruit support the branch or remove most of the fruit. Next year leave way less fruit.

I'd probably wrap the branch after the fruit is off but it probably won't really help. The branch will need support or extra thinning for several yrs.

Thin the whole tree more or you risk this elsewhere. All peach set way too many fruit in good yrs. We all battle thinning. You just need to thin and thin again. It takes me three passes to get enough off.

o
RE: Crack in peach tree branch

jeepguy, I was thinking all the same things as fruitnut. One additional thing I would do is to seal that bark crack for the very reasons you mentioned. There is a lot of dispute these days over whether or not to seal tree wounds. There are commercially available tree wound sealers available, but I've found a caulking gun with latex caulk works well. Take along a wet towel and use your finger to rub it in, filling voids and sealing entrance to fungus, insects etc. Use a gray or brown color to not be unsightly. When I spray, I spray insecticide/fungicide good on those areas and after it has dried I apply the caulking/sealant. The bark will heal underneath and push away the sealant as callous tissue is formed.

Like fruitnut said, the structural integrity is compromised on that limb, so baby it along for a few years and hopefully it will heal and knit up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here