Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berries for partial sun

Posted by lilacs_of_may 5/6 CO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 16:15

I have a couple of raised beds that get plenty of sun in the spring, but when the trees leaf out they get 3-4 hours of morning sun, then dappled sun throughout the rest of the day. I tried growing vegetables there for a couple of years. They grew but weren't prize winners. Once I moved them out to the sun, they went wild.

I've seen raspberries and blueberries listed as needing partial to full sun, so I wonder if they would work there. Since it's a raised bed set apart from my other planting areas, it would be easier to acidify the soil for them. I've also thought about other berries--acai, logenberry, goji, etc. I've also considered putting a couple of dwarf fruit trees there, or possibly an asparagus patch.

Comments? Would this work? Could I--should I--use some combination of the above? The soil still needs badly to be amended, but that's doable.

This is, of course, all for next spring, but I could start amending the soil this fall. It's sandy and probably doesn't have that many nutrients. I've worked in some compost, but I'm sure it needs a lot more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berries for partial sun

I have had great success with blueberries in the conditions you've listed. However, there are blueberries that thrive in either Northern or Southern climates. It probably would be best for you to look for varietes like: Duke, Bluejay, Earliblue, Bluecrop, Jersey, to name a few. Good luck! You will get results well worth your efforts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry northern varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here