Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flame seedless in zone 4

Posted by canadianplant 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 16:16

Well, we all have big box stores selling plants that wont grow in our area. I have been caught with a Flame grape, which is only hardy to zone 7, according to most information I can find.

Anyone try this in colder zones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flame seedless in zone 4

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 21:57

I'm in zone5 and it didn't even come close to pulling through a mild winter. It was only one vine I tried but you may have different results.
I have over 20 varieties here and I think if you want to go seedless your best bet would be trollhaugen and somerset. They are fully hardy for me here.

o

What do those taste like, glenn?

o

That is what I was thinking Glenn. I wont have a chance here if it didnt make it in NB. Ill detatch it from the trellis and lay it down.. Hopefully my snow cover may do something.

So far I have 6 kinds. Flame, Niagra beta (these 3 first seasons) himrod, valiant and some volunteer seedlings. None have produced yet, but the Valiant is poised to do great things. Its over 6 feet tall ( thats 5 feet in a season) and it has a good 12 branches (which i need to train on a wire).

The himrod hasnt been protected here in 3 years, and dies to the snow line. I hope putting it on the ground or wrapping the cane will work. Im expecting similar results from the niagra.

I got the flame because they are available at the store, so I know what to expect... I guess i was a little excited when I seen it, and didnt realize it was a complex vinifera cross with muscat types...... No way in helll :(

o

Most Big Box stores have a one-year guarantee. Dig it up and get your money back, unless you picked it up really cheap and want to take a gamble.
Northwoodswis

o

Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:13

The trollhaugen has a grapey kinda taste and the somerset has its own fruity strawberryish very sweet taste...hard to explain.
I have himrod, I need to lay it down for the winter. It is worth the hassel as it has a very nice flavour. Vanessa needs to be layed down as well and has a very good flavor comparable to Swenson red but not as good.
I am trying a few varieties from the green barn nursery out of montreal. They have some new creations that they came up with that will hopefully taste good and be hardy such as the polar green seedless. I'll let you know how the work out in a few years.
Glenn

o

If Himrod dies back for you, flame would almost surely kick it entirely. It does alright in a great microclimate in zone 6, having withstood many subzero nights without protection.

I'm trialing a few as well, Reliance looks to be the winner so far hands down...

o

Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 7:21

I'm growing reliance here too. I haven't laid it down for the winter and it gets a little dieback every year. I'm getting my first big crop this year from a cutting shoved into the ground back in 2010.It is one of the most vigorous grape vines I have here.

o

Thanks again guys

I had a vanessa that was treated the same as the himrod. Despite most descriptions saying it is slightly hardier then himrod, it completely died this winter.

I am zone 4 with zome 5 microclimates, possibly a cold 6 under the snow. I manage to grow bamboo up here making sure they are completely buried.

The one problem is finding other types. Most reliable kinds are beta abd valiant, besides the native riparia. The others are grapes that probably shouldnt be offered up here like himrod or wine, like Pinot gris,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here