Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olpea

TangOs pretty popular

olpea
11 years ago

Three weeks ago I got an inventory list from Adams County. They listed 575 TangOs trees. I called yesterday to order my trees and was planning to order some more TangOs and they were completely sold out of them. This is the first week of August and they're sold out!

What makes it bad is that Adams is the only nursery licensed to propagate this NJ release. They need to bud about 4000 of them for next year.

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, that's too bad, olpea. On two fronts - for you that you missed out, and for those of us in California, as Adams won't bother with our restrictions, and won't ship to us here in California. Bummer.

Patty S.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

They ripen firm and very sweet. Not quick to rot. Easy to move to market.

Not the best peach I've eaten this year but probably the sweetest. There is something to be said for a peach you need to eat over a sink. ST is not one of them and is a uniquely non slurpy peach. Probably why it keeps so well, even when fully ripe.

Best culinary peach I've ever had.

• mamuang_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Olpea,

You mean the TangOs orders for 2013 spring shipment from ACN are all gone!!!! My goodness!

How soon we need to order such a popular peach variety for 2014 shipment?

• olpea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mamuang,

Yes they are gone for 2013. My guess is orders would need to be placed in June or early July to ensure getting a tree for the following spring.

I can't help thinking part of the high demand is that this year commercial growers on the east coast discovered TangOs is fairly frost tolerant, as Hman has mentioned.

• bob_z6
    11 years ago

I found some at the farmers market last Saturday. I suspected they might be TangOs by the color and was pleasantly surprised when the vendor actually supplied that name (most of the time peach names are not readily recalled).

I measured the brix at only 11.5, but they were still very good- full of flavor and just the right level of juice (not too much). My wife and kids also liked them and all 8 that I bought were gone by the next day. I'll be looking for them again tomorrow morning (and more this time).

Last year ACN didn't sell out until much later in the season. I was able to order one on November 16th.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Question... So these trees for next spring that are sold out...wouldn't they have been budded LAST summer (grew out this summer)... So hopefully they budded a lot more this summer for spring 2014? I have no idea how the pros propagate stonefruit, but my guess its by budding...

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

They bud. In the West they tend to bud and sell the very next season, in the east they bud and grow them the following season, so it's a 2 season process in the east as I understand it.

• olpea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right Frank and Hman. I forgot that Adams sells two year peach trees (budded later in the summer, grown the next summer, and sold the following spring).

Nurseries in the south sell one year peach trees (bud early in the summer and force the grafts so they can sell the following spring).