Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Plum Varieties

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 16:22

Basically, Im wondering what cultivars of plums have green flesh and skin? I bought some at the store, Ontario grown, and was just wondering the type.

I went on the Agro ontario site, and they didnt list any plum on there, that was green flesh and skin, only "yellowish".

The only thing that really pops up when I google "Green plum", or "green flesh plum", is the "Greengage" plum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Plum Varieties

Emerald Beaut is a green skinned and green (greenish yellow) fleshed plum. I just bought some at the farmer's market, in fact, they're just coming in now. I love them because they are super sweet. Mine is just new this year, so hoping for some nice plum next season. There are several other yellow-green to green plums as well, but I think Emerald Beaut is one of the greener plums. There is the Wickson and the Kelsey (which is heart shaped), that are also pretty green, and quite good. And of course the Shiro. The flesh of all these will vary from golden to greenish. And of course, Green Gage plum is an old standby that I think is pretty good. Not as good as Emerald Beaut I don't think, but certainly a good plum.

Patty S.

o

These guys are Ontario grown. I do believe cali and ontario grow different species (for the most part).

I do know recently Ontario has started to grow "greengage", but the only yellow/green flesh type that I seen that was widely planted was "shiro" ( the data may be from 2009 - 2010).

Im wondering, because greengage is said to have a good, change to grow true from seed ( as well as other green/yellow types )

o

I can only say of Greengage because this is what I grow for maybe 10 years now, I love this one, nice and sweet when fully ripe on tree,..couldn't be sold this way, it would be too soft,.. perhaps you might consider.

o

Well, I can say that the plums were delivered to the store very ripe. Most of them were actually over ripe when I ate some. Most were edible, super sweet and juicy, with a slight bitterness around the pit.

Greengage seems to be the mainstay "green/yellow" plum from what ive read. I had no idea it was hardy enough to make it up in Edmonton.

o

I was the first one to grow it here, including some other European prune plums, some years it's good, some years you have none. Surprisingly not much freeze back. This year will be a fairly good crop, not as good as this..
Photobucket

o

There are many old seedling cultivars of Green Gage. I grow Oullins and it is great off the tree because birds think it is unripe green. Oullins is also larger than Green Gage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here