Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is peach ripe?

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 16:22

I have a dwarf Redhaven, year 2 that has 27 peaches on it. Fruit is small but very pretty. How do I tell when it is ripe? Does it ripen on the tree or do you pick and ripen in a paper bag. This is the first time I have ever had one. It had curly leaf in the springtime, but I picked off the affected leaves and it is doing well now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf peach tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is peach ripe?

Well, the easiest way to tell is when a couple of the peaches fall off the tree, those were overripe and the rest of the tree should be ready. You can look at color too, the fruit should have a yellow undertone rather than green. At this point it should smell like a peach. Then test firmness, there should be a little bit of give rather than rock hard. Although if you pick them after they have turned color but before they are soft you can ripen them the rest of the way in a paper bag. I'll pick all of my peaches once some of them are completely ripe and let the hard ones sit in a bag for a day or two.

But the best way is to pick one and do a taste test.

Peach leaf curl can be treated by a dormant spray of either lime sulfur or copper in the fall after leaf drop and again at the end of winter.

o

Thanks Athena, one did fall from the tree today and I ate it and it was delicious. The fruit isn't big,but the stones are small so there was enough peach to be worthwhile. And, I'll spray the little tree this coming winter.

o

Smell.. You can really smell a ripe peach.

o

I should have known "smell" is right! That's what I do in the store to choose the tastiest fruit. But homegrown is certainly the best.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 12:23

My ripe test for peaches - while it's still on the tree just take your finger or thumb and gently press on the peach's shoulder (upper part right next to the stem). If it gives a little (slightly soft) then it's ready to pick. If it's hard leave it on the tree and check daily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here