Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

Strawberry plasticulture - northern home garden

ltilton
10 years ago

I've been fed up with the weeds and the rot that always afflicts my strawberries, so I decided to start over. Commercial growers, especially in the south, often use plasticulture, treating the plants as annuals and replanting as plugs in the fall. But I couldn't find plugs in home garden quantities, or Junebearing plants for fall, so I decided to improvise.

In late spring, I ordered bare-root plants to ship at the last possible time. 25 Cavendish and 25 Chandler, because that's what was still available. I planted them in a container and put them in the sun, where they grew quite happily throughout June.

In July, I ripped out the old plants and weeds, tilled in a lot of good stuff and some 10-10-10. When we got a cool spell, I put in the new plants at about 8 inches under a sheet of water-permeable plastic weedblock. Farther south, they do this in Sept, but the growing season is shorter here in northern IL and I want to have them well established by frost time.

For as well-hardened as they were, with such good root systems, and as moderate the weather, I was surprised to get more die-back than I expected. But I kept watering and all but 3 plants recovered. My tentative plan is to keep these crowns going for 2-3 years, then repeat the process, hopefully with the runners from these.

What was most interesting is the different ways the two varieties have responded. Cavendish seemed more vigorous in the container and tried to set fruit. But this variety was definitely more prone to dieback when planted out. The crowns are growing actively now, but they had me worried for a while.

Chandler [closest to camera] took to setting out very well, the plants remained healthy with almost no leaves browning. They are now actively sending out runners, which I keep pinching off, except for a couple I'm using to fill in where other plants didn't make it. The Cavendish plants have no runners yet.

If this works out next year, I may start another row, probably with Allstar, a variety I'm more familiar with.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz