Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grapes. Captan. Neem Oil.

Posted by tigrikt 6B Central NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 16:28

I am using Captan for rots/downey mildew protection. How to apply neem oil/green cure (for Powdery Mildew) with captan?
The label states not to use together or closely. Doesn't specify a safe interval.

Cannot use Immunox as reached the max number per season

Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grapes. Captan. Neem Oil.

Don't do it. Find another fungicide for PM

o

Consider using captan plus sulfur.

Oil plus captan or oil plus sulfur will damage the foliage. Don't mix them and don't apply them separately unless the proper time interval has elapsed. Captan alone can injure some grape varieties.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 20:59

" Doesn't specify a safe interval."

Generally a couple weeks is the recommended interval b/t captan and oil. That said, some foliage is more sensitive than others. You might experiment on a small part of the foliage first.

o

Thanks for suggestions. Cannot use sulfur, have concord. Will try find something else.

o

We have alternated Green Cure (potassium bicarbonate) followed by captan with no problems. The application intervals have been variable, but may have been as short as a few days. We have never tank mixed them,

Green Cure is for powdery mildew ONLY. It is not a protectant - it has no residual effect at all. It kills powdery mildew on contact. So you have to scout your vines and use it as soon as the PM shows up. It does nothing about the other two major grape diseases.

This post was edited by nickl on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:26

o

tigrikt, do your grapes still get PM after applying immunox?

I used it earlier this season on my curcubits and found that the systemic presence has persisted and prevented the disease.

o

Itilton,
Dont see any so far. Frequent rains help too.
Just considering my options for the rest of the season, just in case. I used Immunox mostly for Black Rot in Grapes and with all that rain got overly entusiastic.

Nickl, thanks on Green Cure. Will use it as an eradicant then. I have table grapes, the harvest is soon.

This post was edited by tigrikt on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 19:48

o

I've heard about this potassium bicarbonate stuff. I'd feel less skeptical about it if information came from some reputable objective source, but everything I see seems to come direct from the manufacturer or sellers.

And contrary to what Nickl says, the website alleges the stuff to be effective against a whole long list of diseases.

Does anyone have better information?

o

Some info here

Here is a link that might be useful: Page 37

This post was edited by tigrikt on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 21:34

o

Some info

Here is a link that might be useful: Page 33

o

Some info

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to the end of the page

o

Good information, thanks.

o

For Future References

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Injury from Captan Mixed with Oil-containing Products

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here