Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do With a LOT of Meyer Lemons?

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 16:38

I posted this over on the Citrus Forum, but I thought my Fruits & Orchard Forum friends would enjoy this post, especially those of you in citrus states :-)

Thought you'd all enjoy these photos. When you've got an overly productive Meyer lemon tree, one must become creative in your endeavors to use all the lovely Meyer lemons. Here is the typical thing I do with my Meyer lemons, several times a week:

Photobucket

And, for those of us over the age of 21, you can do THIS with your Meyer lemons (yes, taste testing has transpired with first bottle):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Salute!

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do With a LOT of Meyer Lemons?

Nice!

o

I'll tip a cup for you, denninmi! Here are my lovely little Limoncello cups straight from Deruta, Italy. I keep them in the freezer, ready to serve:
Photobucket

Patty S.

o

If you haven't already tried this, you might like it a lot:

Buddha's Hand Limoncello (Crema di Limoncello)

2 Buddha's Hands
2 cups decent vodka
1/2 gallon low fat milk
1 cup sugar

Separate the fingers of each Buddha's Hand by cutting them apart. Zest each finger with a microplane or vegetable peeler, avoiding the pith. Place in jar with the vodka and macerate for a week or so, shaking several times. Strain and discard zest.

Put milk and sugar into a saucepan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 4 cups. Strain and cool, then mix with vodka infusion. Store in refrigerator.

Obviously made for Buddha's Hand, but the floral quality that makes it so special is in some ways in the meyer lemons as well, so it should work fine.

o

Thank you for the recipe, Steve! This sounds very adaptable to the Meyer lemon. I have a neighbor who is also an avid gardener, and has a really nice Buddha's Hand that is loaded with fruit. He gave one to me and said, "Gosh, I don't know what I'm going to do with all of these." I'm sending him this recipe :-)

Patty S.

o

Not fair. My parents should have moved to SoCal back in the 60's when a person could still afford it. Buy a little spread down by San Diego...plant some lemons, avocados, cherimoya and pluots :)

What proof is that? I've had wine made from various fruits...some of it was pretty nasty. I also once drank way too much Rumpleminz and ended up in a dog kennel...but that is another story :)

o

Thats right Frank. My family transferred here from Brooklyn NY in 1965 and paid $15,000 for a house that at the height of the mortgage crazy back in the mid to late 2000's was worth over $700,000. My gramps came to work from Brooklyn Naval Shipyard to Long Beach Naval Shipyard. The weather is nice plus a few others things. Other than that, I can take it or leave it. But Ill take the Citrus any day:-) Nice work Patty.

o

Frank, this particular batch is 20% alc/vol. Made with 80 proof Vodka. We have another batch that was made with 100 proof vodka, so that will be 27% alc/vol, and our "supercharged" batch made with Everclear 150% will be 57% alc/vol, and won't be "leaving the estate", lol!! Hah, I want to see pics of the dog kennel incident. Sounds like a forgettable night, oh my gosh. Poor dog. And thanks, Blaze. My parents bought their first home in Garden Grove, built in the middle of a Valencia orange orchard, and before the Garden Grove freeway was built, so my poor dad had to drive on regular surface road up to Los Angeles for work every day. I think they paid $12,000 for that little house. It's still there, and so are the 6 orange trees in the backyard. My dad convinced the builder to leave as many orange trees as possible for everyone. We had orange everything growing up, it was great. Not gonna tell ya how long ago that was ;)

Patty S.

o

Wow...sounds like some good stuff. I use to drink a lot more (weekly?), but now its down to maybe once every 6 weeks, if that (no beer, just liquor for me). I was into wine for a while, but the headaches (hangovers) were too much. Its good for your body (reservatrol), but can make a person sick as a dog. Vodka is great for the hangovers...the darker the liquor, the worse the hangover (or so i've read).

Dog kennel? That was a Halloween party that got a little crazy. Before I had kids...the glory days :)

House prices? They were dirt cheap here too. My mom still has newspaper clippings from some of the homes they bought. Interest rates were sky high at times, but a family (I have 7 siblings) could survive on one income back then. Today houses aren't insanely priced here, but they aren't cheap. Even back in the early 90's land couple be had for $200/acre..today its $3000/acre... Only nice thing today is 15 year mortgage rates at 3%...Too bad selling a home can be impossible for some. I know a guy who looked at 50 different houses! Market is very saturated around here.

o

Forgot to add on the recipe that I felt the steeping time was far too short. I let it sit for the more traditional 40 days and 40 nights before continuing on.

o

Good to know, Steve. I'll append the recipe :-) I'm looking forward to trying this. I know my neighbor will give me a few to try to work with. Frank, you slay me. It's amazing we all made it to adulthood with as many brain cells as we have!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here