Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Can I Tell Which Raspberry Shoots are Suckers?

Posted by just_me_6 WV 6 -Tri State: Ohi (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 16:40

This is my first year growing raspberries. I read that I should removed suckers. How can I tell which shoots are suckers and which are just new shoots of the main raspberry bush?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Can I Tell Which Raspberry Shoots are Suckers?

Just You:

Where are you reading this stuff? All raspberry canes start out as "suckers". That is how they propagate -- by suckering.

There is no such thing as a "main" raspberry bush. Raspberries are canefruits that spread underground, and renovate themselves every year. The old roots from the old canes poop out, or should poop out entirely, and be replaced by brand new canes from -- suckers, that will send out new roots.

There is a time to thin out raspberry canes, and that is when they become so thick as to negatively impact the productivity of the canes. When you see this happen, remove some of the canes by pruning them at the base. But if this is your first year for raspberries, you're not there yet.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o
RE: How Can I Tell Which Raspberry Shoots are Suckers?

I'll have to look to see where I read this info but the exact sentence was something to the effect of "Remove suckers as soon as they appear as they will divert energy from the main plant."

They went on to say the berries would be smaller if too many suckers were left to grow.

So, this is not correct? I should not be removing any new sprouts coming up out of the ground around my raspberry plants? (BTW, I have both ever-bearing and summer-bearing if this makes any difference).

Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here