Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gigantic Jack Fruit

Posted by tonytran 5 Omaha, NE. (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 16:46

Check out this 43.4 pounds GIGANTIC Jack Fruit I bought for $73.35.
It is so fragrance, flavorful, and oh so sweet. It is worth every pennies. I have to try it once in lifetime.

Eat the yellow meats.

You can eat the seeds by boiling it for about 45 minutes and it was tasty.

I went to Orlando Disney's World and saw the tree in their green house and I was very curious and just wanted to taste the fruit.

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gigantic Jack Fruit

So you b ought it in Florida and not Omaha? I remember one time, Woodmans here had Durian for sale... This was at least 5 year ago...they also had Cherimoya which I passed on...never seen it since. I guess it wasn't worth it to carry them.

o

Tony,

I am very familiar with jack fruit. Many are that size or bigger. The fruit has some crunchiness to it, sweet, and fragrant unlike durian with is soft, creamy and has very strong smell that can turn many people off.

The more common jacke fruit have yellow flesh like yours. Wait until you eat the kind that has orange flesh. That variety is not as common and a bit more expensive, in general.

In the right climate (tropical), it's so easy to grow.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 23:17

They really are a weed tree in the tropics. I liked it, but it is heavy to digest, like some of the commercial persimmons. Also, it tires you, just like cherimoya. I can eat large amounts of many fruits at one sitting but even finishing a single cherimoya or two cups of jackfruit is an effort. Eventually I ended up blending it in smoothies with other fruits. The seeds are best roasted in an oven pan IMHO.

o

Frank I bought it in Florida.
Mamuang if I had another chance I will try the red type.
Glib I am glad you enjoyed it.

Tony

o

What does it taste like?

o

MrsG47
It is crunchy with a tropical aromas and delectable sweetness. If you have the chance just try it. I like a lot.

Tony

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 21:01

In�Brazil the soft one (jaca molha) is strongly preferred to the crunchy one (jaca dura).

o

I definitely like the crunchy more than the soft one. I am partial with the orange color one. I think it tastes better and more aromatic. I tend to be able to eat pounds of them in one sitting. Sometimes, people cut jack fruit in strips and mix them in ice cream (like mixing raisins in rum raisin ice cream).

Around here (MA), you can find them in Southeast Asian markets/grocery stores. It's from the tropic so you won't find them in Korean/Chinese/Japanese markets. The price is more expensive here than in Florida. Mostly you see them sold in cut up large chunks ($7-10 a piece).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here