Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spice Zee Nectaplum

Posted by justjohn 8 AR/LA Stateline (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 16:50

My young tree is having trouble, I think. The leaves are folding and the color isn't right. Sort of changing to a yellow shade. The ground isn't dry, I can feel dampness around the base, not muddy, just damp. It has been 100+ down here for about a solid week, no rain....drought actually. But, I've watered with a garden hose. Any thoughts, hate to lose another tree (2 sour/2 sweet cherries kicked the bucket this month).

Spice Zee Nectaplum

Spice Zee Nectaplum

Spice Zee Nectaplum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spice Zee Nectaplum

John:

Your tree doesn't look too bad. Not great either. Guess I'd have to say rather drought stressed. It is still growing slowly. You'll probably get a boat load of rain soon and it's not going to die just from being dry.

Any idea what killed the cherry? I lost some recently to bacterial canker of the rootstock.

o

Deer mowed one down and kept it down till it gave up the ghost. I'm guessing the heat killed the other cherries. I was told that cherries are a cool climate tree, but I wanted to try anyway. I'll stay with what works around here from now on. I placed my order for 4 apricots from the place you suggested, hope they do well...nobody else around here grows them. Thanks for looking over the pictures of the nectaplum!

o

John:

I just looked at my Spice Zee. It looks a little better than yours. About the same age and size. I want to say yours looks nitrogen deficient. Mine does some too but they have those red changing to green leaves. My Baby Crawford peach looks worse than your Spice Zee. But this time of year there's not much to do but wait and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here