Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of cherry?

Posted by Lowell_Newman VA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 16:56

Recently moved to Virginia from Florida and we are trying to identify the many flowering and fruit bearing trees in our yard. Unfortunately the avid gardener/arborist who lived here passed away and her heirs had no info on the plantings. This certainly looks like a cherry variety based upon the leaf type and the cluster of 3 fruit on long stems, but the fruit are greenish with tiny light specks and only 1cm long on 8/1. The tree is covered with fruit and I would love to know what type it is. A good sized tree with rough vertically ridged bard on the trunk and somewhat shinny grayish horizontally striped bark on limbs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of cherry?

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 19:18

I don't know what that tree is, but those don't look like cherry leaves to me.

The cherries I've seen have extra floral nectaries where the leaf petioles meet the leaves, the leaves aren't so shiny, and the leaves have serrations.

The fruits also don't look like cherries.

It it perhaps goumi, autumn olive

Here is a link that might be useful: autumn olive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here