Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derek1598

Whats wrong with my watermelon?!

Derek1598
10 years ago

This is only on one of my watermelons and I ripped it out because im afraid the disease (if it is one) will spread. What the hell is this I've never seen these odd black/brown spots before. The vine had stopped growing (hasnt grown at all in days) so I decided to take it out.

Picture : http://i.imgur.com/00b6mN3.jpg

Comments (13)

• Derek1598
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edit : it has spread and i sprayed a Dawn/Water mix on it....i dont know im getting paranoid right now.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I can't identify your problem with any certainty [maybe alternaria?], but if you're really concerned, you should be using a real fungicide to protect your other plants.

• Derek1598
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you I will look around for Fungicides. I had to make a make shift thing because I was babysitting and couldn't leave my house.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Daconil/Fung-oil/chlorthalonil is a widely available wide-spectrum fungicide.

I hope someone else has a more informed answer about your specific problem.

If you've pulled the plant because you think it's diseased, best to trash it, not compost it.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I have the exact same thing every year on my plants. Usually starts late in season, and affects older leaves first. I have some spots now and have been vigilant with the daconil and got the disease anyway. Will try spraying once more. Just hoping the melons ripen before the plant dies.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Don't think a disease. Possible environmental/cultural.

If the plant is still alive, please post an image of the plant.

• Derek1598
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fruit is no where near ripeness, I'm going to try Daconil and pray.

• Derek1598
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's dark out and there are a lot out there still I just took that one out and ripped affected leaves off the others. I will post pictures tomorrow. Ciao!

This post was edited by Derek1598 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 0:39

• Derek1598
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's 4 of my watermelons and 1 of my thriving pumpkin vines. Also, I literally threw my garden together hastily June 1st so please keep the crappiness comments of crabgrass nearby, etc to yourselves :). I know lol next year I'm gonna do it earlier and better.

Here they are : http://imgur.com/S2nefRq,4nRKLiW,b3tmiaw,w8OeeAn,mFZ8e56

Any help/identification would be GREATLY appreciated.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Derek - you might also post over in the vegetable forum where there are more people familiar with curcubit crops.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I saw your photos and your post on the vegetable forum. Your bigger issue is that overall it just looks like the watermelons aren't thriving. Not sure if it was the soil, food, weather, whatever. Not sure where you are located, but if you have a long season you might still get a crop. The smaller issue is the brown spots on the leaves. Like I said earlier, I have the same problem, but usually doesn't start until late, and the melons are almost ripe. I just removed all of my infected leaves and gave a good drench of daconil. IMO it's a disease because I saw some of the spots on old and young leaves too.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Mine get similar issues this time of year. I don't think it's serious. Your plant needs a lot more nitrogen. The leaves and plants aren't big enough to grow an eatable melon.

I think the spots are partly related to the lack of fertility and partly old age. I've had several foliar diseases but don't count that look among them.

• Derek1598
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Zone 6, a suburb of boston MA. Thanks for the replies. I have not fertilized at all. Next year I will do a heavy nitrogen fertilizer. As for this year, I'll count my losses. I really appreciate everyones help, honestly I do. I just threw these in the ground as I said, not expecting anything. How should I fertilize Melons next year?