Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allenwrench_gw

Golden raspberries

allenwrench
15 years ago

Was thinking of planting some Anne or Fall Gold.

Any feedback between the two?

Comments (27)

• fruitgirl
    15 years ago

My favorite golden raspberry is Anne, hands down. Love, love, love it. The berries are pretty soft, and don't store well at all, but the flavor makes up for it, IMO.

• austransplant
    15 years ago

I cannot compare the two, since I've only grown Fall Gold. It produces very sweet and delicate berries. Most of those who tasted them liked them, though I think that in large amounts they are a bit cloying. The plants are extremely vigorous and very productive but they spread very quickly. Don't plant them near anything you would not want them to grow around. One of my fall tasks this year is pulling them up, as they are invading my blueberry bed. Raspberries are very hard to get rid of completely once they get established.

• allenwrench
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. do your Anne or Fall Gold require staking or do they grow upright on their own?

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi Allenwrench-
    I've always found that (all) raspberries do better with a trellis. My thinking is that they put more energy into the fruit, instead of simply trying to stand up. I love my "fall gold" raspberries and agree they are very vigerous and productive. Next year, I'll need to try the "Anne" variety. Good luck! -Glenn

• austransplant
    15 years ago

As Glenn says, fall gold will do better with a trellis, otherwise the plants will bend to the ground under the weight of fruit. Since these berries are so delicate, I never bother washing them, but I would not like them to end up with soil on them. Fortunately a trellis for them is a simple affair, provided your bed is not very long. It need not be very high. A permanent trellis might just be a couple of posts at each end of the bed, with a post nailed or bolted across each to form a cross-shape at about waist hight, and with wire or twine running from the ends of each cross bar to the other cross bar at the end of the bed, so that the plants are held erect between these wires. Or, just bang a post in at the end of each bed, and run wire or twine around them and the raspberries at about waist hight.

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

I agree, I don't wash them, but wouldn't want to have dirt on them. My problem with simple/easy trellises was that they either looked cheap/poor/obtrusive, or they werenÂt strong enough. This year, I went all out and spent a good amount of time & effort making a good one. All ¾ Iron pipe painted green which green vinyl coated wire. It's actually even set in concrete and disconnects in the winter so I can mow the raspberries down (and also so the plow doesn't push it over) You a pic of it in this thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0711580020272.html

Hope this helps...
    -Glenn

• fruitgirl
    15 years ago

A few re-bar T-posts and bailing twine (or wire, for a more permanent option) works great as a trellis. The bailing twine can be removed each year to make pruning a bit easier. By the time the canes grow, you don't even see the re-bar.

• denninmi
    15 years ago

Allenwrench, I have found that the original 'Fall Gold' is a pretty poor producer and berry quality can be very dubious under cooler, wet conditions. Also, the plant is weak. I've heard others make similar comments on various forums, etc., so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I haven't tried 'Anne" yet, someone sent me a few small plants this spring, and they are growing, but don't look big enough to produce this year.

The fall-bearing yellow raspberry which I bought a few years back which really impresses me is 'Kiwi Gold' - same honey-sweet flavor as 'Fall Gold' but MUCH more productive, better berry quality, even under poor growing conditions. Also, this plant is more upright and sturdy than 'Fall Gold'.

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Denninmi-
    You are correct. I meant to say "Kiwi Gold" instead of "Fall Gold". Having not looked at my tag in a while, I confused the two. A trip to my records confirmed "Kiwi Gold". Thanks for the correction. -Glenn

• djofnelson
    15 years ago

I'm growing both and highly recommend growing Anne purely for flavor (delicate tropical taste), but production is low and disease resistance in my plot is below average. Kiwi Gold has good flavor and is more productive and disease resistence (similar to Heritage in all respects other than color). In my experience, the description on edible landscaping's website is accurate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Raspberries at EL

• allenwrench
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to ALL!

The trellis with removable pipes is something!

Will check out kiwi gold, sounds nice.

• allenwrench
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • allenwrench
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Been looking for a mail order source of Kiwi Gold.

Who sells them?

• shane11
    15 years ago

In my opinion fallgold is probably the best tasting but it is not very productive and the berries crumble easily. Anne is almost as good and when dead ripe has a banana like flavor, also anne is a larger berry than fallgold and kiwigold and is very productive. It is by far the best yellow raspberry in NC. It is yellow wheras fallgold and kiwigold are more golden orange.

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

Hi Allenwrench-
    I too am having a trouble finding "Kiwi Gold" in the online nurseries, which surprises me. There are at least 2 local nurseries within 5 minutes of my house which had them here in RI this year. I agree with shane11, KiwiGold is probably my most vigorous variety. I think others in this forum usually put "Anne" over "Fall Gold" for flavor, but having tried neither, I can't say. I plan to plant Anne next year. Have you tried looking at your local nurseries? Perhaps an online source will become available towards spring time? Good luck,
    -Glenn

• allenwrench
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Posted by glenn_russell 6b, RI (My Page) on Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 11:59

Hi Allenwrench-
    I too am having a trouble finding "Kiwi Gold" in the online nurseries, which surprises me. There are at least 2 local nurseries within 5 minutes of my house which had them here in RI this year. I agree with shane11, KiwiGold is probably my most vigorous variety. I think others in this forum usually put "Anne" over "Fall Gold" for flavor, but having tried neither, I can't say. I plan to plant Anne next year. Have you tried looking at your local nurseries? Perhaps an online source will become available towards spring time? Good luck,
    -Glenn

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Glenn.

No one sells KG round here, all we got is Lowes and a small garden center. .Will keep looking online. Wonder why they are so tough to get?

• bobbett
    15 years ago

I don't know why, but a lot of places that normally sell Kiwi Golds stopped this year. I tried ordering from Nourse, and they were out of them at the end of 2007 and said they'd be no longer carrying them! I finally found some at Pinetree, but they said this was the last year they'd be selling them too. I bought 10 in Spring 2008.

I also bought Anne. Anne's are bigger and ripe when pure yellow. The KG are more like Fall Gold in that they're a light orange before they're ripe. Both produced THIS Fall (and still are as we speak) even tho I only planted them this April.

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

My local nursery is still selling Kiwi Gold. $16.99 on sale right now for a gallon pot. (Just saw 'em this morning)But, then again, they still sell Heritage instead of Caroline! -Glenn

• wmiller1_sssnet_com
    13 years ago

can you grow kiwi gold and another gold variety next to each other.

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    11 years ago

Wayne, yes, though they'll fill in a row together and you'll forget which kind is which. At would bother me, so I'm keeping mine separate.

• swaine
    11 years ago

2 of the better ones anne and allgold/fallgold,
    i find fall gold berries are a little bigger in the uk than anne, but fallgold/allgold berries can get quickly moldy in wet weather
    a few other yellows i grow are

sweet metz (pre 1870) tall growing , berries little misshapen, but ok flavour, summer fruiting

supised d autumne, another french old type, similar berries canes more bristley than thorny, and not as tall growing,

golden queen, another old one,small berries get a pinky flush only grows to about 4-5ft,

yellow antwerp, very old, nice flavoured berries , on the smaller side, canes 5-6ft

golden everest,
    summer fruiter, i find similar berries and to fallgold/allgold but earlier

regards stewart

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    11 years ago

Stewart, I haven't heard of some of those that you grow. I really enjoy the yellow raspberries, though I don't know the name of my all-time favorite. It grows at the UW-Madison Research Gardens, and they don't know the name either. It was fruiting just after Boyne, and is fruiting again this fall. It gets a orange hue when really ripe and has a lovely pineapple/peach flavor.
    I have Anne and Fallgold in my yard, and they really don't compare. Anne is a very weak grower in my clay soil, so I prefer Fallgold between the two.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Try Noursefarms.com They are the biggest berry on-line catalogue for the best berries. They might have Kiwi Gold. I love mine.

• swaine
    11 years ago

fruitmaven.
    heres a few others type might be worth checking against your favourite,

the golden queen ,was found growing in a field of cuthbert raspberries a long long time ago
    that can get a pinky orange tinge, berries are smaller than newer types,but what was most intresting was the flavour you described, very similar to the golden queen
    i find the golden queen very weak and spindly growth with masses of suckers being thrown up close to the base of the original plant, but when you take invidual canes up and pot them on the individual new canes show impressive growth and cane thickness, a variety that needs a bit more work and time, but like most things worth the extra effort

a few others are
    ARNOLDS ORANGE (dark orange coloured)
    CAROLINE (buff yellow)
    SUMMIT YELLOW CAP (pinky yellow/white)
    BRINKLES ORANGE (yellow/orange)
    COL WILDER (creamy yellow white)
    MAGNUM BONUM (yellow)
    MERVILLE DE QUATRE SAISONS (yellow)
    YELLOW CHILLI (pale yellow)
    COXS HONEY (white)
    MRS INGERSOLL (yellow)
    MRS WILDER (Yellow)

kind regards

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

I think a lot of those berries aren't available or have different names in the U.S.

Caroline is a red primocane berry here....

• swaine
    11 years ago

i have information 2 carolines (yellow and red (described as salmon) (also 2 maraville des quatre saisons)red and yellow versions
    the yellow i refer too orginated Mr E W Carpenter of Rye N.Y
    possibly before 1900?
    claimed to be a hybrid of catawissa and brinkles orange, but believed to be an a yellow form of rubus occadentilis
    the other red/salmon origanated Mr S P Carpenter (new rochelle N.Y 1865
    ive just read there was also a brown buff coloured berry raised also that seemed to sport the name too
    , speculation but with the same surname of these growers in the same area, possibly related? and maybe one caroline was raised from the other,as a seedling?

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

thanks for the info. i actually grew up in mamaroneck, which is the town between rye and new rochelle. I'll have to try and find the yellow caroline...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting