Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orus 1431 Blackberry

Posted by oregonwoodsmoke 5 OR (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 17:10

I just had my first Orus 1431 blackberry. One word: yum.

The berries are large, with very small seeds, and a nice rich flavor, with a very subtle hint of wine.

I have no idea how well the plant will handle cold weather. It was in a pot this spring and I moved all the blackberries and boysenberries inside every time the weatherman said it would freeze overnight.

I intend to provide winter protection for my blackberries and boysenberries, but the Orus 1431 is supposed to be relatively cold hardy. I'm not leaving it unprotected to find out if it can take 10 below.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orus 1431 Blackberry

Hi Oregonwoodsmoke-
I was going to look for a 'Wild Treasure' Orus 1842-3 to replace one of my Chester's. Do you know what the difference is between 1431 and 1842? Was it the 1431 that was sterile? It's still thornless, correct? How does it's flavor compare with say Triple Crown? More wild flavor, not as sweet? When it's said that the fruit is "small", can you describe small? Still bigger than a big raspberry? Most importantly, where did you get yours? Thanks, -Glenn

o

Oregon Woodsmoke, those sound really nice. I had some Metolius, Siskiyou, Wild Treasure and Black Diamond this summer. The Metolius produced like crazy and I think it overproduced because the berries were not very tasty. I didn't even bother to harvest most of them. The Siskiyou from Raintree was in fact some seedling with tiny berries, no good. The Wild Treasure I got only a couple berries from but it was excellent and unique. That one was only partly hardy for me last winter but I am thinking of doing a bigger trial of it. The Black Diamond I also only got a couple berries but they were very good. The only one I am sure of excellent winter hardiness is Metolius.

Glenn, as of now there is nobody I know of selling small quantities of the numbered releases by mail-order. I may order some Wild Treasure from one of the wholesalers, in which case I will have many extras since the minimum is either 50 or 100 tissue culture (small) plants. Or maybe Raintree or One Green World will have some in their catalog for next spring...

Scott

o

Thanks Scott. Let me know if you order the TC's! Thanks again, -Glenn

o

Glen, the fruit of 1431 is large, about the same size as the Marion berries that I have purchased. Flavor is better than the Marion berry, although it is unfair to the Marion berry to use a store bought one as a comparison.

It's the seeds that are quite small. The berry is much larger than your typical raspberry, although not much bigger than my Chemainus raspeberry, which is a monster. The Orus berry is also much much larger than a wild blackbery.

My memory says it is thornless, but I'll have to double check. I've got both thorned and thornless blackberries out there. I know that OSU released one new thorned berry because the quality was so high. Normally, they are trying to breed good thornless for machine harvest.

I've never had a triple crown blackberry, so don't know how the flavor compares.

My son drove over to Eugene, OR, on a blueberry buying trip and hit 4 nurseries in that area. He came home with a large assortment of other plants and the Orus was one of them. He went back to see if he could get more, but they were all sold out.

Scott, I'm glad to hear that the Black Diamond is good. I planted one of those this year. I think you are going to be pleased with the Orus. The only thing that remains to be seen is how well it can handle weather.

So far the Orus is quite erect, no bending at all, so I think I will try to air layer it. It's hard to tip layer when the canes are way up in the air.

o

1431-1 is thornless. Said to be similar to Waldo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here