Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think this is!!!!

Posted by dch1112 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 17:29

Hi, I am posting this pix from a rogue plant that is growing under my deck. The largest is in the pix and is football shaped. The plant now has 3 fruits that look like this along with vines that are 15-20' long.... It looks like some type of a melon..... I'm going to wait until the stem gets brown to pick it.....but any help in advance on what you think it is would be a great help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think this is!!!!

Funny, I have the exact same question. Sorry to piggy-back on your post but I also have a "rogue" plant that has something that looks like a melon but I don't know what kind of melon.

o

Both look like a cantaloupe from leaf pattern, size, and color.

o

The first one is a watermelon, wait until the curly cue at the intersection of the stem and vine turns completely brown then pick it. The second one looks like a cantaloupe but I'm less sure.

o

Sorry, but the first one is NOT a watermelon. It is some variety of Cucumis melo, not Citrullus.

The exact type won't be known until ripening. But odds are it will be something good, it most likely came from a seed out of someone's melon, perhaps out of the trash, compost, or seeds put out for the birds, likely "planted" by a squirrel, chipmunk, or mouse.

o

If you plant cantaloupes in a spot, do they come back next year even if you don't plant them there again? I am sure I didn't plant any cantaloupe in that spot this year but I did last year.

o

Magic garden.

o

Whatever they are...I'm thinking "awesome"!

o

If they end up netted they're muskmelons. Anything netted is a muskmelon! Canteloupes (and some muskmelons) are not netted. Most "canteloupes" you see in stores are mislabeled. I guess the name 'muskmelon' doesn't sell very well. They're still several weeks from ripening.

o

edweather - what do you mean by "netted"?

o

As they get closer to maturity, most muskmelons develope what looks like a net-like covering on the surface. Actually, on your photo, if you look closely, you can the net developing.

o

Hey thanks to all for the help...... I took another pix yesterday of the bottom of the fruit....So I assume from what edweather said this is netted and a muskmelon?

o

Not all netted melons are muskmelons, but it's some relative.

o

What netted melons aren't muskmelons?

In a quote from Amy Goldman's book, Melons for the Passionate Grower, on page 44 she states, "Reticulatus: Muskmelon and Persian Melon, The hallmark of this grouping of melons is the reticulated or netlike tissue that covers the rind............Muskmelon is a breed separate and apart, yet we persist in mislabeling it "cantaloupe."

Now there are some smooth skinned muskmelons too, as well as cantaloupes, but I don't know of any netted melons that aren't muskmelons, but I'm always open to learning something new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here