Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_71

Snow Queen Nectarines Splitting

steve_71
13 years ago

Last year, I planted a snow queen nectarine tree. It produced fruit this year for the first time (about 15), but all of the nectarines split. Most of the fruit split to the pit and turned brown inside. Is this typical of snow queen nectarines? Will the fruit split less as the tree matures?

I live near San Jose, Calif. I have been watering the tree about every other day, which is how much I water my two peach trees, and the peaches didn't split at all.

Comments (9)

• letsski
    13 years ago

Steve, I live in San Mateo and I grow the Snow Queen nectarine. These are prone to cracking with too much water. My tree is established; about 6 years old.

Once the fruit sets, I do not water at all, same with my two Babcock peaches. While San Jose is warmer than San Mateo, if it were me, I would cut down your watering schedule.

Also, just as an FYI, our area is susceptible to Thrips, which will produce wicked scaring on your nectarines. Google "UC Davis Thrip damage on nectarines" and see if you don't have some of that going on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrip Damage

• steve_71
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your response. That type of nectarine scaring looks familiar. I didn't realize it was caused by an insect. Is there any effective way to control it?

• rasputinj
    13 years ago

The other thing to be careful is that you do not have water directly hitting the nectarine, they will absorb water directly through the skin and split. The snow queens are a favorite of critters on my hill, I caught a possum, rabbit and rat in traps as the ate half the fruit before I netted the tree and caught them.

• letsski
    13 years ago

Check the web site below for monitoring/control methods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Thrip control

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    10 years ago

To those who have grown and tasted this fruit, is it sweet, or sweet and tart with some acidity?

I assume that because it has white flesh it would only be sweet, but I was recently given a few nectarines with purely white flesh and they were much too tart for my liking. It looked like Snow Queen, but the grower didn't remember. I already have some tart yellow peaches so I got the snow queen so it can be sweet like a white peach. Hopefully it is..

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"but I was recently given a few nectarines with purely white flesh and they were much too tart for my liking"

Arctic Glo are white, and tart, even when ripe. I love them!!!
    But I grew up on tart fruit, currants, elderberries etc. I don't care for the white sub acid fruits, any sub acid fruit for that matter. Indian Free is a white peach with a bite too!
    Yum!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 6:47

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

dan8:

My Snow Queen fruited the first time this year. They are sweet with a mild flavor. No acid or tartness. Not my favorite so far but need another year or two to be sure.

Drew:

I can understand why you don't like the sub acid fruit if you've never had a good one. You've got to get the brix up to at least low 20s and then some of them are the best fruit I grow, the richest flavor. At low brix they are tasteless.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"Drew:

I can understand why you don't like the sub acid fruit if you've never had a good one.
    "

Yeah it would be hard to get them as good as you can. Once I have more expierence I may try some of these sweeter fruits. I'm going to have to buy a Refractometer too, as now I'm just curious what this area will produce.
    What brand do you use?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Linked below is similar to mine and only $24.

Here is a link that might be useful: brix refractometer 0-32 scale

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer