Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best cherry tree

Posted by sma_gal mn (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 17:37

I am wanting to plant a cherry tree. I live in zone 4, so I am thinking either crimson passion cherry or Evans Bai Cherry. I want them for fresh eating. Which taste better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best cherry tree

I know a lot of folks like them, but I have been disapointed in the evans cherry. I have 3, 2 grafted and one on it's own roots, They have yet to set a decent crop in 5+ years and the cherries i do get are almost all pit...and the PC have hammered them most years

I have had much better luck with my other varieties. Mesabi has great flavor and while still tart is passable fresh. Jubilium may be borderline here in Z4 but the cherries this year were very good and notably early to ripen. Sumadinka cropped well this year too and it was quite good if left to hang untill really dark and soft, but it was very early in bloom and late to ripen...I doubt we will see consistent production from it.

Can't speak to crimson passion

But eating any of the sours fresh in volume is an acquired taste I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here