Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FIreblight or Copper Burn

Posted by mes111 5b and 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 17:38

Last week I noticed some black areas on some pear leaves. From some photos It looked as if it could have been FB.
From what I read, at this time of year copper could possibly inhibit further spread.

So I did a quick copper spray. Now, a week later, it has spread a lot but still does not look convincingly to be FB. No sheperd shook.
does this look like FB or some sort of COPPER BURN.

The varieties affected are Seckel, Keiffer, Highland, Orcas, Ubileen, & Conference.

Any ideas

Thanx, Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FIreblight or Copper Burn

Another

o

And...

o

Bump...

I don't see any evidence of this traveling into the branches and am wondering and HOPING that this could be so other fungal disease instead of Fireblight.

Never thought that I would be hoping for a fungal attack

Any thoughts?
Thanx
Mike

o

I get a lot of that on pears and have yet to identify the problem, but it isn't fireblight and it is related to high humidity. I don't think the copper played any role.

If you bring it to your cooperative extension let us know what they say. It's a bad year for that here- even at a site where I'm spraying a pear fungicide every two weeks.

It's never done any permanent damage to pears I manage and where the lawn sprinklers hit the leaves it is worse.

Maybe I will finally get around to bringing in a branch myself.

o

Thanx H'man,

The last 2 weeks did see rain here with hardly any wind to dry things off and daytime temps goldilocks perfect.

Mike

o

I had a touch of it on my Potomac pear last year. I was anxiously awaiting an answer too. I did know it wasn't fireblight, but had no idea what it was. It hasn't returned this year. The Red Bartlett right next to it was unaffected. I'd really like to hear a named diagnosis of it.

o

On years with truly excessive rain it happens to the apples as well and nothing really looks healthy, but the trees gather all they need to survive.

Getting it named will probably not help control it because I have a couple of pears suffering from it that have been sprayed with a mixture of Pristine and Flint- two excellent fungicides for diseases with similar appearance, and should have been well protected when the issue appeared. I expect it is one of those lesser maladies that there is no treatment for or I would likely have 'heard' of it by now.

o

I know sulfur seemed to have no beneficial effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here