Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmbrown88

self pollinating plum trees

bmbrown88
15 years ago

I need some ideas on what kind of plum tree that is self pollinating that is juicy & sweet to buy.... are any of the green/yellowish kind self pollinating?? I had one last summer that was yummy but have no idea what it was. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (13)

• myk1
    15 years ago

Santa Rosa is self pollinating, purple.

• theaceofspades
    15 years ago

European derived plums are self pollinating. Green Gage is an excellent quality old european variety that can have green yellow skin. Asian derived plums (called Japanese) need cross pollination with another asian variety. European and asian plums don't cross pollinate. Native American plums cross bred with Japanese are hybrids that are more hardy and equally delicious.

• myk1
    15 years ago

"Asian derived plums (called Japanese) need cross pollination with another asian variety."

Santa Rosa is a Japanese plum and is self pollinating.
    There is at least one other self-pollinating Japanese plum, my friends have 2 of the same tree. The fruit looks similar to Santa Rosa but the trees look a lot different than my Santa Rosa did.

• bmbrown88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

is Green Gage the only green self-pollinating plum tree?? I looked up green gage but Im not sure if that's the plum.. the plum I had was almost like a clear skin or yellowish/green skin with yellow flesh. do the green gage turn this color as they rippen?? the ones I keep seeing are almost solid green... Thanks for all the Help!!!

• theaceofspades
    15 years ago

bmbrown, "like a clear skin or yellowish/green skin with yellow flesh" Sounds like Shiro plum. They are very juicy.

myk1, Santa Rosa is self pollinating and is a great pollinator of other Japanese plum crosses. I bought my Flavor King Pluot with a Santa Rosa. In general Japanese plums will not self pollinate and European plums will.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiro Plum

• glib
    15 years ago

I am no expert, but know enough that I can tell you that the true original green gage is truly green with no hint of yellow, freestone, and one of the best fruits IMHO. Then there are many coloured varieties.

I am in the market for a green gage and companion plum tree that can be espaliered, so not too big a tree. Ideally the companion should pollinate, and produce plums earlier than green gage. Oh, and they should make it in Zone 6.

Ideally, the companion would be a purple/yellow italian prune, because there were two such trees in the yard of the house I was born, and they were great trees, but if you want to drop me some advice I will be grateful.

• bmbrown88
    Original Author
    15 years ago

theaceofspades's..... I just googled the Shiro plum and I think that's it. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh,,,is that a self-pollinating plum???

• glib
    15 years ago

I suppose that qualifies as "hint of yellow". There will be other types which will stay green. The ones I have in mind, besides being green, have a fairly dry texture compared to other plums. They are difficult trees, not bearing every year.

• peonyman
    15 years ago

This next spring I am planning to top work/graft 5 plum trees that I grew from seed and a purchased european plum tree that reverted to the rootstock the spring after I bought it. I am not sure which cultivars to try that will grow in this USDA zone and at the same time I need to find someone that will share some scion wood with me so I can do the grafting. I am about 25 miles west of KC Kansas. Is there anyone around me that would share some pencil size cuttings of first year wood? I will need to cut scion wood about the first week of February. If someone is farther away that would send scions I could cover cost of postage.

• olpea
    15 years ago

Peonyman,

Sounds like you live around DeSoto or Bonner. I live around Stilwell. I've got some plum trees I'd let you cut some scions off of. If you're interested, send me an email.

• peonyman
    15 years ago

Olpea,

You don't have an email address on your profile page. I have a link to email on my page. Email me please.

Leon.

• bengals22
    13 years ago

i bought a plum tree from www.tytyga.com it was a green egg plum tree. now i know green gage are self pollinating but is this green egg one to.if u can jus take a look at the website to get a better understanding. also i bought spray because bugs r eating the leafs, and the spray is wrkn to some extent is there a better and more helpfull way to keep bugs off.