Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supertreat

Need help selecting fruit tree to plan

supertreat
10 years ago

Hello everyone,
I live in the Black Hills of SD in zone 5b. Elevation is about 3300 ft and we have a cold-winter semi-arid climate. Soil is sandy and well drained in the yard and we get plenty of sunshine year round. Summer temps top out around 100 for maybe a week or so but usually hover in 80-90 range during the hottest part. With the elevation and low humidity things cool off well at night. Usually dip down into the low 60s or even lower during the summer. It's not uncommon to get a frost in late april early May. We also can get a bit of "indian summer" here with winter temps up into the 50s or even low 60s for a few days at a time - but average winter highs are in the 30s. Many gardeners here put their plants outside after mother's day to avoid that. I do have a lot of deer to contend with in my area and they eat everything. I also did a soil test and the ph is 7.9 and have the full test results if you guys need it. Looking for some recommended fruit trees that would do well and wouldn't require lots of sprays, etc. Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?