Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help - kiwifruit vine dying fast :(

Posted by June.Sky none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:05

Hi guys.
One of my hardy-kiwi vines suddenly has its leaves turning yellow with black spots on them - and then dropping off.

Do you think the problem might be over-watering? Or is it some sort of disease? Yellow leaves occur most near the base of the plant, but black/yellow is quickly climbing to the leaves at the tips of the vines.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help - kiwifruit vine dying fast :(

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 19:37

june.sky, I would say your assumption of over watering is probably correct.kiwi plants do not like damp conditions at all.how often are you watering?a good finger in the soil is a easy way to see if there is adequate moisture,as long as the soil has moisture and is not bone dry your plants will do fine.My advice is to stop watering and only water as needed,make sure the drain holes in your pot are free flowing and hopefully the roots are not completely rotten.Even if it recovers a little bit, it is quite late in the season now and it will probably not make it through the winter if it experiences really low temps(not sure what zone you are in).I have kept potted kiwis in the fridge over winter and planted them out in the spring...You just need to put it in spot in the fridge where no one will get mad at you:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here