Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricots for southern michigan

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 18:06

My wife is crazy about Apricots.
Gold cot, Harglow are two that I have. I have also Hargrand coming. Tomcot piques my interest.
Am I missing anything spectacular?
Noogy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricots for southern michigan

I've grown Puget Gold (garbage), Hunza (this year it wasn't bad, but its nothing special), Harogem (no fruit yet) and Tomcot ... Tomcot wins by a landslide...its early, its pretty, it doesn't need much spray, its juicy, it has good flavor/texture... Its everything you'd want in an apricot. It also seems to be very hardy./. I sometimes wish it wouldn't ripen fruit so fast (once they turn, get your jam making equipment ready) but I think that is common with most apricots/stonefruit.

o

Ask me in a year or two, I added a dozen new orange varieties this spring. The one I am most excited about is Montrose, it gets high marks from many folks.

I grew a dozen white cots and so far no clear winner from any of those.

Scott

o

Scott and Frank,
Thanks for your feedback. It carries a lot of weight. I haven't heard of montrose. Where did you get it?

o

I think Burnt Ridge sold Montrose at some point plus maybe someplace else I can't think of now.

BTW I notice I didn't mention Tomcot in my post above, that is by far the best apricot for home growers so definitely get that one.

Scott

o

PS just remembered -- Bay Laurel was the other place.

Scott

o

Noogs! I have a Harglow, this is the first year (four years after planting) that I had four cots. They were delish! Can't wait for more next year! Fingers crossed. Mrs. G

o

Thanks,Scott.
Mrs. G, That's wonderful. The cots were very early this year (at the fruit stand)and I bought a bunch. I ate most of them as they were getting tooooo ripe. You know...?
Montrose, Tomcot it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here