Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Persimmons

Posted by bhawkins 8A Dallas (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 18:14

I'm hoping to start an argument!

I've only had fruit from 5 or so of the dozen persimmons I'm growing; but based upon my results, & peoples comments, & ones from pick your own orchards,only a few stand above the rest

Astringent: Giombo, Hichaya, Kyung San Ban Si, Chocolate

Non Astringent: They're all pretty much the same; Fuyu is as good as any?

imo., Saijo is too small, Tamopan too bland, Ichi Ki kei tastes same as Fuyu & is a sparse bearer, Matsumoto Wase Fuyu tastes same as fuyu...etc

Anybody want to defend Tam Kam, Great Wall, Coffecake, Cinammon, Maru, Miss Kim, etc?

Conversly, what are the worst persimmons? Tamopan? Tanenshi? Lindy's Giant?

thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Persimmons

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 19:20

I've only fruited Chocolate and Eureka so far. Not really that impressed with Chocolate. Last year it set 7 fruit this year only two. Seven wasn't too many last year and this year it could have carried 10-20. For eating quality I'd just as soon eat Eureka and it bears decently.

Around here I think most will leaf out too early and get frozen. Eureka leafs and blooms late.

Do you notice differences in leafing dates or hardiness?

o

Thanks Fruitnut. All my persimmons (I think I may have 17 types actually) bloom late enough to escape spring frosts. Only time I had one freeze out it was newly planted in March from a southern nursery; it came leafed out & grew back. I can see though how bloom time might be a criteria for some folk, but I haven’t paid attention to it.

I have 2 Eureka’s in their third leaf in 2 locations 3 miles apart. One gave me a half dozen fruit in its second year (though none in its third) & the other has a half dozen in its third year; so the Eureka is precocious. I like the taste & texture, it’s certainly better than Tamopan & Taninashi to me. Yet the Giombo is similar, a little larger, to me tastes slightly better, has a more uniform texture, had a half dozen fruit in its second leaf & is loaded in its third. So while I’d give the Eureka an “A”, I’d give Giombo an A+.

Of course that’s Dallas, & jmo.

Thanks!

o

I agree on the non-astringent, they are very similar. 20th century was a bit better some years, but last year they all tasted the same.

For the astringent, Hachiya is a clear winner. My favorite is Aizu Michirazu, its smaller but a bit more sweet and flavorful than Hachiya. Great Wall I removed, its too small and stringy.

On the PVNA guys Chocolate has been the best for me. I got a few cinnamon (aka Hyakume) types last year and they need a longer season than I have. Maru is fruiting for me for the first time this year.

My Chocolate tree at some point (about ten years in) switched to making nearly all male flowers. I thought I would out-smart it last spring and pruned off the branches with no female flowers on it, but it didn't grow back, it switched to a low-vigor growing mode.. very odd. It also has few fruits on it this year.

Scott

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:28

This year my Chocolate must have had at least 500 males vs 6-8 female flowers and set 2 fruits. It was really bizarre. I'm not impressed at all. The eating quality isn't better than Eureka for my taste.

Since my Chocolate only set 2 fruit I cut it back some since it was so floppy it couldn't support itself. After that it went crazy with new growth. This is all in my greenhouse.

This year the outdoor Eureka needed freeze protection in both April and May. Chocolate would likely take severe freeze damage outdoors. Both years in the greenhouse it's had 12 inches new growth before Eureka started pushing.

bhawkins and Scott: Thanks for the input. It saves me trying many types that are the same. I might try Hachiya and Fuyu in the greenhouse and outdoors. The rest sound like a waste of time.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 10:18

o

Bob,

I think you should give Nikita's Gift Hybrid persimmon a shot. My tree is about 12 feet tall. The red fruit is about 2-3". when dead ripe and dropped from the tree, the texture was similar to a soft Fuyu but a lot sweeter. It has a little blend of American persimmon and a lot of Kaki in taste. I dried some last year and it tasted better than candy. My children loved them. Jerry Lehman and I agreed that NG belongs amongst the top 10% of the Astringent Kakis.

Tony

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 16:57

Tony:

Do you think Nikita's Gift leaves out late? If it does I'll try it. That's my worst issue here.

o

FN,

My leafed out around may 10th of this year.

Tony

o

Fruitnut, I’m with you on chocolate; good, not special. My wife though is with you Scott, she thinks it’s great, & she has persimmon street creds being Korean. It does have a unique taste. Also it’s precocious, bearing on my 2 trees in its 2nd & 3’rd years; not biennial. & its about the first persimmon to ripen. So Chocolates a winner.

Tony, you talked me into a Nikita. I’d worried about the size; my Seijo’s taste great, but I only get a spoonful to eat from each one. But Nikita seems a little larger, & I like unique tastes.

At a pear tasting in Houston last week, a guy raved about his hyakume, so I guess I’ll try one of those. I’m not sure which type he has, & Dallas is nothing like Houston, so who knows what will happen.

Seems a shame that out of the 30+ varieties being sold in nurseries, the differentiator seems to be ripening time & cold hardiness. All nonastringents seem to taste the same, & there’s only 3-4 unique tasting astringents.

Tanenashi & Great Wall are the only persimmons I’ve seen anything negative about taste wise; maybe that’s to be expected if they all taste about the same.

thanks,

o

I used to not be such a fan, but I've come around so that I have a Great Wall tree that's probably my favorite overall tree in my orchard. This is largely because I've learned that Great Wall fruit dries very well. But the tree is arguably the most cold hardy of the kakis, extremely productive, very reliable, dwarfed with tightly packed foliage that makes it easily the most aesthetically pleasing of my kakis. Some years the leaves turn to a rich red for a striking display.

o

creekweb,

I'm glad you piped in. I decided to get a Great Wall and I was beginning to believe I would be disappointed.

o

Ok, I just had my first cinnamon. Like a fuyu with a cinnamon taste, so it's unique; I like unique

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here