Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
different leaf colors on apple whips of the same type

Posted by ShadyHoller none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 18:15

Hello, this is my first post, so thanks in advance.

I have a number of young apple trees that were bench-grafted this past winter. They are growing in pots in a nursery setting for now; I plan on planting them out when they are dormant. I have two Wickson crabs, both on MM-111 roots, both in the same soil, both in 5 ga. buckets with large drain holes drilled in the bottom.

But one tree is thriving, with dark green leaves, and the other is growing more slowly, with bright light green leaves. They are the two trees in white buckets in the middle foreground of this picture.

The picture doesn't do it justice - the color difference between the two is really very striking, and the smaller, brighter one looks quite "anemic," for lack of a better term.

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: different leaf colors on apple whips of the same type

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 18:39

Likely a difference in nutrient status. Trees in pots need frequent fertilizer, mainly nitrogen. If frost is still several months away fertilizer might help. But in the long run after planting out it won't have much effect.

o
RE: different leaf colors on apple whips of the same type

Thanks, Fruitnut. I'll give it a shot of fish emulsion, with the assumption it will still have time to make use of it and harden up before winter. It's gotten hard to predict frosts here. Last year we were still picking tomatoes in early October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here