Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant where: apricots vs. pears

Posted by steve_in_los_osos CA 10a/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 18:19

I have two spots left in my backyard and am growing out some potted bench grafts to plant in them. Both spots will get somewhat enhanced Winter chill due to lack of sun from late Fall to late Winter/early Spring.

One spot "wakes up" earlier in terms of sun, but only gets sun starting at around 11:00 am. The other takes longer to see the sun going into early Spring but then gets it just about the entire day. As the growing season comes to a close, the spot with all-day sun loses it first.

I'm trying to decide which tree, apricot or pear would have the best chance where. Since pears develop later in the season maybe they would benefit from more days of sun even though it only starts around 11:00 am. Having the apricots in the spot that lakes longer to come into sun might slow down the bloom a little to avoid some rain.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant where: apricots vs. pears

I would plant a shade tolerant tree like Paw Paw. I have an apricott that gets about 7 hours of direct sunlight and it is doing fine so far. My asian pears get more sun and they are doing better.

o
RE: what to plant where: apricots vs. pears

both trees can require much winter chill...depending on variety. Choose carefully. Some varieties like "Katy" are touted as low chill....and produce very poorly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here