Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsnrabs

When will my mini peach get fruit?

Deeby
9 years ago

I bought a dwarf peach that I think is called Jennette. It had tiny green peaches which dried up and fell off. It is growing well and is thick. I cut out a heavy branch in the middle to get the vase shape, but it's thicker again. I don't mind that, but when will it blossom and get real peaches?

Comments (7)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I could find no info on a peach cultivar called jennette. Some are ornamental and not meant to produce edible fruit. Your tree already produced, so you answered your own question. The question should be why did it abort the crop?

• Deeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Because I planted it in a pot maybe? It's lush and healthy. Hopefully she'll flower and fruit next year. I looked online for the right size pot and the right potting mix. The name is Jeannette or Jeanie or something. I can't find it online.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

I don't think being in a pot will make a difference in getting some fruit.I have one,an Empress,in a container and there were about six peaches this year.Possibly with yours,the flowers didn't get pollinated.
    Don't expect great things for taste from these.Mine were about 11 brix.
    One of the benefits of being in a pot is,they can be moved under cover during the rainy Spring,to help prevent Peach Leaf Curl.
    I picked two this morning before taking this picture. Brady

• Deeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are nice ! I called the nursery where I bought it. It's called Jeanne and the reason I can't find it online is because the grower probably named it. So mystery solved. I'm growing it for sentimental reasons so if I get only a few fruits it's fine.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Deeby, yes, if newly transplanted it could drop the fruit. Hopefully you will get more next year. Some dwarfs are actually good. Tthe ones from Zaiger. I heard reports that a couple of them are outstanding. Honey Babe was one. Farmer Fred, a radio garden show guy in Sacramento said one is his favorite peach. Not sure which one? A Zaiger cultivar. They developed a few of them. Cute trees!

• Deeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found my own previous post here from when I first bought the tree. It's called LITTLE Jeanne. I still had the tag then. Yes, she's really cute. Today I bought a dwarf pomegranate called Orange Marmalade. I felt sorry for it-totally neglected, a huge weed growing in the nursery pot, dead leaves, etc. Lots of good healthy leaves though. I drenched it, gave it a nice shower, pulled out the weed and its root, and trimmed off the dead stuff. Tomorrow she gets planted in a big blue ceramic-look pot. Then in the shade a day to recuperate. I feel like Charlie Brown who said about his Christmas tree, "I think it needs me". LOL.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

They are like pets. Although i have a dog too! Fruitnut often pulls trees. I couldn't do that. Even if i didn't like the fruit.