Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

I have now a peach tree

dennis1983
11 years ago

Hi

I have now peach tree. I bought Red Heaven variety. It is from Michigan. I planted it 14.8.2012 hopefully i get now finally a peach tree, which is a live and can produce peaches. Sorry for the delay, i was thinking of posting 14.8.2012 but my firewall didn't get power so i couldn't get in internet. My peach tree has a lot leafes and has 1 peach on it. I gave it 20 litres water after planted. That is about 5 U.S.A. gallon water in for those live in U.S.A. Hopefully i didn't gave too much water to it. It looks like better than my 2 previous peach trees, as it have leafes. 2 Leafs dropped of after i planted it sometime. Leafes are in green colors. We got warm weather when i planted it, so i think that can help to establish it.

Comments (20)

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Dennis, good luck with your new peach. I know you had a 'Frost' Peach, did it die? Mrs. G

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MrsG47 hi

Thanks of hoping good luck to my peach tree. I would like to get peach tree, so i could get peaches. Peaches are good, you know. Yes my Frost peach is dead. I wrote " My peach tree has a lot leafes and has 1 peach on it. " that should be My peach tree has a lot leafs and has 1 peach on it. I wrote "It looks like better than my 2 previous peach trees, as it have leafes" should have been It looks like better than my 2 previous peach trees, as it have leafs. Needed to correct those errors.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

You have been very determined to have peaches. I hope this Red Haven lives for you.

Does Finland not have peaches at all?

• olpea
    11 years ago

Redhaven is a nice variety Dennis. I'm curious, where you able to get the tree from a nursery in Finland?

Summer is a hard time to transplant. You may want to take a look at the thread linked below to care for your new tree.

As an aside, since you seemed concerned about the spelling of "leafs", I'll mention the correct spelling is actually "leaves".

English is a weird language with millions of exceptions. You've probably learned that to make a word plural, you simply add an "s" to the end of it, or in some cases add an "es" to the end.

That works most of the time, but there are lots of words that the plural form is completely different from the singular: leaf-leaves; tooth-teeth, fungus-fungii, mouse-mice, ect. Then there are some words that have no plural form but are used for both singular and plural: trash, moose, deer, ect. Lastly there are some words for which there is no singular form but again are used for both singular and plural: clothes, scissors, pants, ect.

If you ever figure out all the exceptions in the English language, you can teach me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Newly Planted Peach Tree Dying?

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Milehighgirl hi

I have read peaches are growing here.

Olpea hi

I got my peach tree from Kauppila. I have read that thread. First the people who wrote that message didn't say what was the location. I have feeling it was from some warm place, like a Florida. People who answered was from Florida. So i thought orginal people who wrote message was from Florida. That thread yellowing leaves is sign of drying or shock as i planted my peach tree. Message said soil was moist, but what about soil where peach tree was? U.S.A. had warm summer weather (I like warm weather BTW.), also some drought that might have some effect of dropping of leaves if you don't water peach tree.

I think advice that summer is worse time to plant peach tree is too general advice. Here we say you can plant plants when soil is not frozen. I think you can plant peach tree in summer, but i think in this idea we need to think temperature and humidity too. If you have no rain and plant peach tree in summer when temperature is high, peach tree might have trouble to establish it. If your soil is dry too. If you have low humidity and temperature high peach tree might loss water because of evaporation. I think i have don't have as high as temperature as Florida, also we do have humidity here. I meant that if you have rain during summer you can plant peach, if soil is enough moist. You can also give water to peach tree. Let's think about it, think about planting peach tree in Arizona, where is low humidity in summer. If you plant peach tree in summer, you need to water it. But because of low humidity evaporation might be high so keeping peach tree a live might be little problem. I think newly planted peach tree roots shouldn't to dry out. I guess some dryiness is possible, but so they don't die of dryiness. Moisture in soil helps peach tree to establish itself. Let's think then for example Florida where we have some humidity. Higher humidity means less evaporation, so peach tree don't dry as fast. I think rain might be good too as it can help peach tree to establish itself. Sun would good too for growth. It was not easy to explain this, hopefully you got still the idea. O.K. right word is then leaves. I thought it but it was close to word leave, but that is other word. I have read 12 years english in school. I think i understand english quite well.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Dennis, no problem with your English! I understand what you are always saying. I know NO Finnish language at all, they do not teach it in our schools. And I don't see many in this forum that also speak Finnish.

I do not understand how you can buy a tree from Florida. How long are your seasons. And. . .how hot (warm) does it get and for how long in your part of Finland. What is the name of your town. Many thanks, Mrs. G

• jocelynpei
    11 years ago

Hi dennis, glad you have a Redhaven. I have one here too, in Prince Edward Island...Canada. here, the weather is usually very damp, humidity is high, and Redhaven gets peach leaf curl very much. It has bloomed for 2 years and then dropped all the little peaches when the leaf curl got bad. I don't spray, as I am testing seedlings to see if they are resistant. Harrow Fair is good here, no peach leaf curl, also Reliance equally good. Harrow Fair had its first tree ripened fruit this year, really good....intense flavour, very sweet and tangy, nice meaty orange flesh. Reliance will be a week or perhaps two till it's ripe. Things are all early this year. Are you allowed to get seeds in the mail? it can be a fun way to get new genetics.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

To say transplanting in summer is the worse time may not be absolutely true but the point is that trees in full leaf are much more likely to be killed by the shock of transplanting than trees that are dormant, especially if those trees haven't had enough time to store adequate energy reserves to either grow new leaves and still have time to put energy away or (the more likely scenario) to go into dormancy (harden off) and make it through winter after losing leaves from shock.

If you carefully move enough soil that fine roots on a tree are not disturbed enough to create wilting you can transplant anytime soil can be worked.

Trees in containers can be transplanted at any time but potting soil medium is coarser than real soil so extra care must be taken that trees don't suffer water stress before they establish roots in the actual soil. Fine soil draws water from coarse soil if it becomes drier than the coarse soil it is connected to. Coarse soil can't draw water from fine soil.

That should be a pretty tough test of English skills. Sorry I can't write it in Finnish.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MrsG47 hi

Thanks of saying my english is good. My text about Florida was example of that weather thing. I tried explain temperature and humidity how it might affect peach tree.

Jocelynpei hi

So you didn't got any Red Heaven peaches? Well better luck next time.

Harvestman hi

Here is advice to plant fruit trees during growing season. Fruit trees in pot can planted when soil is not frozen. I don't understand your point talking about more likely being killed. That is how fruit trees are planted here, when soil is not frozen you can plant fruit trees. If you plant something which is tender, it might be wise plant it summer, so it can establish before winter. I think there is diffrence planting pot grown peach tree than bare root peach tree. As long as i know bare root grown peach tree can planted when plant is dormant. Pot grown can planted when growing season is. I think you were talking bare root peach tree. My peach tree was pot grown. I don't like much about this so negative comments on this. I would like to some encouragin things. I think it is good i try to grow peaches, i might someday get peaches. Peaches are good, as you know.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what you are asking for. Potted trees are fine as long as you are careful about watering and the demands of this care are greater the longer and hotter the days. If you plant a potted tree when it is dormant it will likely get roots into surrounding soil just as it begins to bud out but root growth tends to slow once the tree has leafed out.

If a potted tree is outdoors it will harden off in the same way as a tree in the ground. It is only more likely to be damaged in very cold weather if the roots are exposed to that cold by being left in the pot above the ground.

• jocelynpei
    11 years ago

dennis, I planted my Reliance in mid summer, and it was a potted tree. They go on sale here, if they have remained unsold, so that is when I buy them. It is not nearly as hot here as the locations of some posters, so I just run the hose on a new tree once week if it does not rain. If you make a slight bowl shaped impression in the ground where the tree is, then run the hose so it drips slowly, any water will soak in where the roots grow. You can make a slight ridge down slope too, to collect rain and it will soak in, rather than run off.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harvestman hi

That is much better. I think your message is now O.K. Good to know that my peach tree might be good.

Jocelynpei hi

O.K. of message.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Dennis! I have an 'Elberta'peach. I bought it last August. It was in a large plastic pot. I did not plant it until Sept. 14th. It had large peaches on it. After eating the peaches I planted the tree. It has 30 beautiful peaches on it this year. What harvest man is saying is that it is better to plant your tree when the ground is first soft in the spring and the young trees have no leaves and are dormant. Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

But potted trees can be planted almost any time the ground can be worked- that is the point of them. It's just easier to establish trees if they are in the ground before the spring growth surge when roots do their most vigorous growing of the season. However, if you get a potted tree now you should put it in the ground now and it will do fine as long as you don't let the potting soil dry out before it has roots in the native soil, especially if it's still in leaf. Also, in cold climates, an airy mulch will help prevent any danger of the roots freezing if there's inadequate snow cover. I believe there may be more danger of this happening before roots are established in native soil.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MrsG47 hi

Looks like you managed to plant that peach tree. I think warm weather help it to establish it before winter.

Harvestman hi

Yes fruit trees can be planted when groudn is not frozen. I didn't know roots grow mostly in spring. I don't know so much of fruit trees.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Root growth is complicated and varies from species to species. Species like peach that grow with equal vigor throughout the growing season also grow more root throughout the season than apples and pears. However transplanted peach trees often don't grow much when transplanted in full leaf and therefore don't get much root growth until the following season when top growth picks up.

Soil temperature also plays an important part with peaches liking a warmer soil than the pomes.

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Harvestman hi

Thanks of information.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Dennis, my peaches are 'Elberta' a very late ripening peach. It is native to the state of Georgia the 'Peach State' here in the US. I will take pictures of the tree for you! Mrs. G

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Dennis go to my post that says First Elberta Peaches. These are my first peaches, Mrs. G

• dennis1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MrsG47 hi

I think Elberta peaches ripens well after Red Heaven peaches.