Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loggymcchopperson

Help needed identifying Prunus subgenus

Hi, I'm trying to get confirmation on the identity of a particular tree. I'm quite sure it belongs to the Prunus genus, but I'm not sure beyond that.

Unfortunately I only have images of the leaves and trunk to go by, as there are no visible fruits or flowers at this time.

The leaves are approximately 13cm/5in long, with reddish petioles and what appears to be extrafloral nectaries at the base. The underside is hairless and considerably paler.

I'm attaching a picture of a leaf to this post, but I've also added a link to my photobucket gallery, where there are more leaf, underside and trunk images.

Does anybody here have any thoughts on what it might be? I was thinking along the cerasus line, but I could be very wrong! The tree is located in zone 7/8, Denmark.

Thanks for your time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket Gallery

Comments (3)

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

The leaf edges definitely look like prunus, but the width of the leaf is wider in proportion to it's length than most prunus I'm aware of. Also the trunk photo doesn't look like prunus to me...either Asian or European in nature. I dunno.
    Having said all that, if I HAD to guess, I'd agree, it's probably prunus. The leaf edges are what I can't get past...definitely looks prunus.
    Fruit and flowers will ID it.

• LoggyMcChopperson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your input, Appleseed. In a way I'm reassured that it's not just me having issues with a clear identification! I'm in Denmark, so you're correct on the European origin.

The tree is in my summerhouse garden, quite far away, so I only see it on occasion. I've never seen it produce fruit over the past couple of years though, but I probably arrive there a bit too late for the cherry season.

Does anybody else have any insights, or am I just going to end up waiting for next spring to see what shows up on the branches?

Thanks again!

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I hope this link helps some. There are many Prunus to look at and some of the pics are good and some not so.
    It might be interesting to try some new Prunus they have for rootstock or inter-stem.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gwnursery.com/_plantsPrunus/Flowering/_PrunusAutumnalis.html