Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pluerry Pollinators

Posted by StephPretty none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 18:47

Hi. New to the forum and growing fruit. I recently planted a Pluerry and was told it didn't need a pollinator. I'm now learning it does. I have limited square footage and would like to be selective. Can I get away with planting a Satsuma plum (my preference) or am I limited to a Burgandy or Pluot?

Also, Maybe a dumb question... will the Pluerry pollinate the plum or do I need to plant a second plum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pluerry Pollinators

Pluerries are new enough that their pollinators are not accurately known yet. So it depends on how much of a gambler you are.

Scott

o

What Scott said. I would pose this question directly to DWN Forums and see what DWN has to say. They know for sure Burgundy plum will pollinate the Sweet Tree pleurry. But, they also believe several other pluots that flower at the same time will also cross pollinate it as well. They can tell you what they suspect would be a possible choice, if you're not thrilled with Burgundy plum.

Patty S.

o

Thanks Scott and Patty.

Parden my lack of knowledge, Patty, but what is DWN?

Thanks again for the help and quick response!

o

DWN=Dave Wilson Nursery

o

Thank you, Bradybb!

o

My dapple dandy or flavor grenade pollinated my pluerry... And I had massive fruit set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here