Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goyo626

Fruit Id Help.

This fruit grows a tree with spines. The fruit has a mild sweetness to it, but the texture of the fruit is problematic for me.

{{gwi:123244}}

{{gwi:123245}}

{{gwi:123246}}

{{gwi:123247}}

It was getting dark when I picked the fruit so I did not get a look at the leaves. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (14)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Goyo, if you could post a photo of the fruit intact, as well as photos of the tree and leaves, that would help with the iD. Also, where you live would be helpful.

Patty S.

• goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I acquired these at a friend of a friend's house so I really cannot acquire pics of the tree. I will caption each photo as best I can. Pics from original post.

Pic #1: It is the pod in which the fruit comes. Most of them are split open which may indicate ripeness.

Pic#2: Shows one of the individual pods open (On right) and one pod intact. The red marshmallow looking thing is the actual fruit.

Pic#3: Shows a pile of these fruits. The white cotton ball looking things are also fruits.

Pic#4:Shows the seed. The seed is enclosed within the fruit but is easily removed. If you look at pic #2 you can see that the fruit encloses the seed like a clam in that it opens revealing seed in the middle.

The fruit itself is dry. No liquid. No detectable smell. I just texted my friend and he has told me that the red and white fruit came from separate trees, although they were planted next to each other which made it look as if it were one tree (it was dark out). The red fruit is sweeter but they have a really "unique" texture.The closest fruit I can think of that is close in texture is coconut. The white fruit is less sweet but has some nuttiness to them and the texture is not as challenging. The seed kind of tastes like peas and also leaves a weird feeling in the mouth.

The tree was located in Whittier, California.

I found some leaves in the bag so I will post more detailed pics:

{{gwi:123248}}

{{gwi:123249}}

{{gwi:123250}}

{{gwi:123251}}

{{gwi:123252}}

{{gwi:123253}}

{{gwi:123254}}

{{gwi:123255}}

{{gwi:123256}}

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

Maybe some sort of Sesbania. I don't think they're edible.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Just to recap - are you saying now that there are two different fruits there from two different trees?

The top few pictures look to me as if they could be Magnolia fruit but it's really hard to make out what we're looking at.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

It isn't a southern magnolia seed....the seed on the s. Magnolia is bright red and the outer part is kind of like a green pine cone though not as cylindrical.

On a separate note......I would not be eating that if you don't know what it is lol.

• goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@flora uk: Yes, the fruit is from two different trees but someone planted them so close together that it looks like one tree with multiple trunks. By the looks of it, they are two varieties of the same fruit.

@bamboo rabbit: I am still alive, lol. So I guess they are alright to eat.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

I wouldn't eat any more until you have an ID, that tingly feeling is sometimes the effect poisonous plants can have. A small amount of many poisons is not particularly harmful but a larger amount can be very bad.

You may want to try the trees forum for an ID.

Scott

• goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@scottfsmith: The thing that caused the tingling was the seed. I have suffered no ill effects as of yet by eating the fruit.
    Update: I roasted some on a skillet and was surprised to find that it releases small amount of oil when squeezed. Also, the flavor is improved. The sweetness remains, but the notes of peanut/coconut are intensified and the texture is much less challenging. They are much better roasted.

• abetsocal
    11 years ago

Guamuchil

• glib
    11 years ago

Akebia?

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Very similar to guamas, a large 8"-16" leguminous pod of tropical america with an edible sweet lining of the seed. In fact I thought they were too sweet. Very interesting.

• goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@abetsocal: Thank you for identifying my mystery fruit, it is indeed a Guamuchil.

Thank you all for the responses.

• megamav
    11 years ago

Never ever eat anything you dont know how to properly ID.
    See: Water Hemlock

It looks like other edible plants and is LETHAL within hours.

• glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.
    11 years ago

megamav,thanks for the heads up on the water hemlock.They had a warning on the news last year about the invasive giant hog weed from Europe and they also touched upon it's close relative the less harmful native wild parsnip.I did a google search on the water hemlock and now know that I have a ton of this stuff growing on my property along the edge of the woods and around my ponds yikes!I guess I need to really educate my little kids on this one, thanks!